I have wanted a jean quilt for quite a few years. Not to put on a bed, but to use as a picnic throw. It would be perfect for throwing on the ground or over a picnic table!
I saved a pile of Kevin's jeans, added in a skirt, shirt, and some fabric scraps (all denim). Then I got busy and cut:
If I were sewing anything else, I would have taken a little more care and ironed my fabric. But this is something that is going to take a beating. So I figured if the seams didn't match up perfectly it was not a big deal (as it turns out jean fabric is kind of "stretchy" along the edge so it was easy to get the seams matched up! They are all perfect except for one or two that are off by a tiny bit). My squares arranged how I sewed them:
I'm very pleased that some of the squares come pre-stained. LOL There are some with grass stains, and some with paint splashes. It adds character to the quilt, and ensures that I will not be upset when extra stains get added to it!
I sewed it up in a jiffy! Big squares are fun to piece! It took me two afternoons to get sewn, and then it sat on or near my sewing table:
Yesterday I decided it was high time to to get it finished up! I watched some of the Olymic coverage and tied it off with bedspread weight cotton thread. Using a curved upholstery needle helped me make short work of the tying.
Several years ago I bought a vintage sheet at an estate sale for 50 cents. I never could figure what to do with it, so I saved it. And now I'm glad I had it! It made a perfect back for my quilt! I carefully figured the size of my squares to correlate with the sheet size (twin size).
The total cost of this was $.50! I used up thread that I've had sitting in my sewing cabinet for years, and all the fabric was free or "upcycled".
4 hours ago