Friday, May 27, 2011

~Crochet Pattern: Girls Ruffle Socks~


You'll need:
a pair of socks
#10 Bedspread Weight crochet thread
crochet hook (size 4 or 6)

I crochet pretty tightly but if your crochet is a little looser that's ok too. There really isn't a gauge for these since it is just a ruffle on a pair of socks.

I really like the socks from Wal-mart, made by Faded Glory. They're in the baby/toddler sock section. The socks are nice and stretchy and it is easy to crochet around them. The sizing seems to run a little on the small side, so you might want to go up a size if your baby is at the end of the size range (for example, if your baby is in 12 or 18 month size, instead of purchasing the 6-18 month size socks, get the 18-36 month size).

Turn sock inside out. Start crocheting on the center back of the sock. Here is a picture to illustrate where you will be stitching along the sock edge:


The stitched part of the sock that bumps slightly downward is the stitch you will single crochet in.

Round one: Make a slip knot, and single crochet in center back of sock. Chain 3, *skip one stitch on sock, single crochet in next stitch. Chain 3*. Work from * to * around. Join with slip stitch in beginning single crochet.

Round one complete:


Round two: slip stitch into first chain three loop, chain 4, 5 triple crochet in same loop, *6 triple crochet in next chain 3 loop*, work from * to * around. Join with slip stitch at end of round.

Round three: chain 1, single crochet in same stitch, single crochet in each stitch around. Join with slip stitch at end of round, fasten off and weave in end. Turn sock right side out, and repeat for second sock.

I recommend machine washing, and drying flat. The cotton thread will shrink a little in the dryer.

Enjoy! You are free to use this pattern however you wish, including items for sale, but please do not publish text or pictures without my written permission. Thank you!

8 comments:

Melody said...

Those look like the socks you made for us! :O)

Are you still selling premade ones? I'm not sure I have a hook this timy (not to mention how long it's been since I've actually crocheted....)

Tammy said...

Melody, I have some socks in my shop still, but I don't plan on keeping them in my shop. They don't move very well. However, if you ever want to place an order I'll gladly do custom orders. :D

Susan said...

I love the socks you make, Tammy, so I'm going to try these. We have a friend expecting a girl in September, and I think she'd love these. Thanks for giving the instructions!

Tammy said...

Susan, I'd love to see pictures when you're finished! :-)

For my baby shower, someone gave me some socks she had crocheted, in three different sizes and all different colors. My daughter still has a pair she wears (though they're getting small on her!).

Anonymous said...

Love the idea. These are really cute! I had trouble reading the the last line of Round 2 because of the brown frame. Maybe you could clarify somehow. Thanks.

Tammy said...

Maybe it's the browser you're using, which is causing the frame problems? Here are the last two rows:

Round two: slip stitch into first chain three loop, chain 4, 5 triple crochet in same loop, *6 triple crochet in next chain 3 loop*, work from * to * around. Join with slip stitch at end of round.

Round three: chain 1, single crochet in same stitch, single crochet in each stitch around. Join with slip stitch at end of round, fasten off and weave in end. Turn sock right side out, and repeat for second sock.

Hope that helps!

Brenda said...

Love the socks. WalMart here doesn't have the Faded Glory socks. Do you know where I might find them. Are you crocheting in the section of the sock that isn't raised? Thanks

MandaThePanda said...

Brenda, my walmarts don't have FG brand either except in the bigger kid's department, but they carry Garanimals Bobby Socks which is the same concept, and they have the ridges you crochet in :)