Thursday, June 02, 2011

~Simple Scalloped Edging for a Receiving Blanket~



This pattern works well as an edging for a receiving blanket. You could use a purchased receiving blanket or start with a piece of flannel. I use a 36" square of flannel and round the edges, then narrowly hem it.

Crochet Pattern:
Round 1: With crochet cotton and a size 6 hook, *sc, ch 2*, repeat from * to * around blanket edge. Join with sl st to first sc. It would be a good idea to count your ch 2 spaces and make sure there is a multiple of two.

Round 2: sc in next ch 2 space, *5 tr in next ch 2 space, sc in next ch 2 space*. Repeat from * to * around. Join with sl st in first sc. Fasten off and weave in loose ends.



This pattern is reposted from an entry from last March. Feel free to enjoy this pattern however you like, including items for sale. However, please do not copy text or pictures without my written permission. Thank you!

9 comments:

Gayle said...

Oh that's pretty, I will have to give it a try. I haven't crocheted edgings on flannel blankets in probably 8 or more years, but now that I have a girl, I find myself wanting to do cute stuff like this again.
Thanks for sharing!

Ruth said...

Very pretty. I'm glad for another stitch to use.

randi said...

this is a very pretty way to edge a baby blanket!

sertyan said...

Great idea for embelishment!

Monica said...

My mom used to make baby blankets in this fashion. Yours is very sweet :)

Carolyn said...

I love the little edging. Am I supposed to make the blanket stitch around the blanket or does the pattern itself make that? I am new to crocheting and knitting

Tammy said...

Hi Joy! The stitching looks like a blanket stitch but is in fact just single crochet around the blanket (the first round). This tutorial (on another blog) shows the first round: click here

Anonymous said...

Hello, you mention you use a size 6 hook... is that Metric, USA or UK?
Ta.

Tammy said...

That would be a USA size 6, which correlates to a 1.80 mm metric hook. Hook size is not critical for this project - there isn't a gauge, so really you can choose a hook that is comfortable for the thread you're using.