Thursday, June 16, 2011

~The Ants Go Marching One by One~

For the first time since we've lived in our house, we have ants. It also coincides nicely with having a 2-year old who leaves a trail of crumbs!

Last night I thoroughly vacuumed the living room, pulling all the furniture from the walls. Then I mopped, using vinegar in my water since ants supposedly don't like to walk on vinegar residue.

A half hour later the living room had ants crawling all over the floor. And they were carrying food. Where did they get it??? It reminds me of when my daughter was 9 months and I'd sweep, swiffer, mop on my hands and knees and she'd still find all sorts of things to stuff in her mouth!

We haven't found a point of entry, and there isn't a trail. I've read all kinds of things online that are natural ways to eliminate ants, but it's helpful to know where they are getting in or find a trail. Maybe next I'll shake pepper all over the place. ;)

6 comments:

Kim said...

Sprinkling corn meal is supposed to help, they eat it but cannot digest it and die. Would be safe for little one too.

Mrs. U said...

I feel for you!! We are having ant problems, too! This is the first year this has ever happened. But it is SUPER dry here right now, so we think that may be the issue. We don't know whether to spray outside for ants or underneath the house. Crazy!!

His,
Mrs. U

Sue said...

We are having quite an ant problem this year too. Not good!

Annecourager said...

This was my story about 2 months ago. Vinegar didn't take care of it...a dry baking soda trail didn't either...
I used some pre-spot clothing treatment and they were deterred by that. I also mixed borax with some powdered sugar and baited their nest.
Don't know which was the most effective, because they went away after about 4 days of vacuuming, vinegar mopping, baking soda-ing... etc. You get the picture! I was desperate for anything to work, so I wasn't too patient to find out what ACTUALLY worked!
Best wishes that your ants go marching somewhere else soon.

emerrube said...

and now I have that theme song in my head...ha, ha.

Emily said...

I hate how the ants make my house feel dirty - even when I just cleaned! And especially when they're crawling all over the trash. Yuck! Let us know if you find a solution. :)