Friday, January 30, 2009

~16 Years in the Making...~

Sometimes it amazes me how long I can draw certain projects out. However, this project, a counted cross stitch set of pictures, is my longest project ever. It took me a little over 16 years to finish these:



Before my 16th birthday, I was drawn to this set, named "Pinky and Blue Bunny". The patterns were in a magazine that my grandma subscribed to. One of the reasons I liked these patterns was the fact that every single square of the pattern was filled in with a cross stitch. So I did know that they would take a while to complete, but I never thought I'd take 16 years to finish them! :-)

The final step in finishing the project is to wash them and take them to get framed. Because of their shape, they needed both a custom mat and frame. I chose to put them in one frame with a double mat. I'm happy they are done, and thrilled that a WIP is now a FO! =D

12 comments:

Andrea said...

Wow! what a great job! I have done some crosstitching, it is fun, but can be tedious. Looks like you have these finished up just in time for Easter! :)

Lula said...

Wow, I would have thrown them out long ago...16 years! I don't know if I have anything from 16 years ago :-)

They are really darling!

Lula

cherylharrell (Mrs Harrell) said...

Those are so cute. I have a lighthouse crosstich to do but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm too busy with my crocheting which I work on for awhile & then forget about it & it never gets finished... :)

Kim said...

Great job!

I have a crocheted afghan I started when my sister was expecting her now 22 yr old son :) Not yet complete - maybe by the time he has children.

I also have a cross-stitched panel afghan that I started about a year before I got pregnant with my son. It is about 80% complete - each block is supposed to included dates of his 1sts, 1st bath, 1st tooth, etc...that never got filled in - he is almost 12 :)

Again - maybe for my grandchild?

Anonymous said...

Ah, cross stitching :) those came out lovely!

Mrs.Vicki said...

I love cross stitching and those pictures are beautiful. For baby's room? That's why it took 16 years :P
That gives me the itch to cross stitch something something, but I have dh's socks to finish first.

Amy said...

Wow! That looks so good- you did a wonderful job. I have not learned how to cross stitch, but you are motivating me to try it. They look wonderful!

Dianna said...

Yay! I take forever on cross-stitches too. They're just time-consuming and easy to forget about. Yours are very cute!

Paula said...

Wish I could see that detail in person; lovely! :)

Anonymous said...

Tammy, I am proud of you for finishing. They look great, and I am sure they will be something that you will always cherish.

Dad

Anonymous said...

Tammy ~ Fantastic job!!! I have a 25 - year quilt project I've been working on since 1998. I'm concerned about you washing your project. Are you certain all of the embroidery thread is colorfast? Can you get away with not washing it? Sometimes the fabric underneath shrinks, causing puckers. Just another idea...but a wonderful job!!!

~ QuiltedHeart Lisa

Alviana said...

so cute! love them. u remind me of my 5-years-in-the-making crossttch :)