Monday, June 24, 2013

~"Cream of" Soups~

For quite some time now I've not purchased "cream of" soups, because some of the ingredients are ones I prefer not to use in my kitchen. I've tried several recipes for cream of mushroom soup made from scratch, but those fell lacking. So I just stopped making recipes - some of my favorite recipes - that had "cream of" soups in them.

Then last Easter, I was looking in the soup aisle for an alternative, so I could make my grandma's potato dish for our dinner. I came across a box of soup made by Pacific Organic. I bought it and...it fit the bill!



So now that I have a "cream of" soup that I'm happy using, some of my favorite recipes have made their way into my menu rotation again! That makes me happy, and Kevin too - because most of the recipes I hadn't been making were actually favorites of his.

I found this soup at my local Meijer, though I suppose it would be easier to find at a health food store. It never occurred to me to look at my health food store to see what options I might have. But I don't make it to my health food store very often, so I'm glad that Meijer is carrying these soups now!

Simple ingredient list I don't feel bad cooking with!

4 comments:

Sue said...

Thanks for finding this, Tammy. I use a lot of recipes that call for canned soups and always wished for an alternative. I'll have to try this.

Anonymous said...

I'll have to try that. I wonder if I can find it here.

Mom said...

I just stumbled onto this soup a few weeks back, too. They also have a cream of chicken soup that is delicious in casseroles. I was pretty excited about finding it. It's a bit more pricey than your everyday ordinary canned soups, but the absence of all the unwanted ingredients makes it worth the extra money.

Tammy said...

Kendra, If you can't find it locally, it is available on Amazon. :)

I've used both cream of mushroom and cream of chicken. I'm quite excited about it (as you can tell! :) ), and I emailed the company and let them know how excited I was - and as a bonus they're sending me coupons!