Monday, September 26, 2016

5 Things I Miss About Michigan

So of course, I miss my friends and our church. That goes without saying (but I just said it).

The top 5 things I miss about Michigan:

1. The Lake!
We lived about 30 minutes from Lake Michigan. On summer weeknights when we wanted to go to the beach, we'd eat dinner and then throw a few things in the car and go to the Lake for the evening. It was so effortless and relaxing. In Michigan you're never far from any lake, much less the Great Lakes.

2. Meijer
I used to think I hated Meijer. But it turns out that shopping without Meijer as an option is really no fun. Wal-Mart just isn't the same. And we might have lived in Michigan for 12 years but I never adapted the Michigan custom of saying "Meijers". There is no "s". ;-)

3. Biggby
Coffee shops are expensive in general, and it isn't like I lived at Biggby. But Biggby's coffee is just so good. They don't roast it as dark as Starbucks does so their plain coffee is quite delicious. We went to the Charleston area last weekend and I made sure we went to the one Biggby in South Carolina. Yum.

(not plain coffee)
4. Storage of a basement and garage
I never fully appreciated the amount of storage we had in both our basement and garage. The houses in our area that were in our price range which we were interested in did not have garages. Most houses in this area do not have basements, unless they are walk out basements. So, we've had to get creative with storage and get rid of a lot. It's not a bad idea to declutter!

5. Snow
Just kidding. I will not miss the snow.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Besides being nearer to your family, what are you liking about SC so far?

Tammy said...

One thing is the hot weather! It has been a hot and muggy summer and I've loved it! Everyone's all like, "I can't wait till fall" and I'm enjoying the hot weather. :D

Becky Dempsey said...

Nope, nothing like Meijer. It always grates a little bit when people call it Meijers. I think it is a carry over from when it was Meijer's Thrifty Acres. I can imagine it would be hard not having the lakes or Lake to go to like in Michigan.

Tammy said...

Becky, that does make sense about the Thrifty Acres! Never thought of that (but then, I wasn't around when it was Meijer's Thrifty Acres!)

maryrose said...

Tammy! Love the new house! It sounds like God had a plan for you and your family. I had no idea you'd lived in Michigan so long. You just cannot put a price on living close to family. I'm still praying it will happen for us one day! I was in Michigan this past weekend, and I kept seeing signs along I-94 for Biggby. Now I'm kicking myself for not stopping. ;) Next time! Blessings!