Friday, March 29, 2013

~Pinterest Fail~

Have you seen the pin that links to cleaning vinegar? You take the peel from four oranges and put it in a Mason jar (what else, it's Pinterest, right? LOL) and cover the rinds with white vinegar. Two weeks later you have "awesome cleaning vinegar".

I tried it, and failed.

 
 
I can't blame Pinterest, really. I stuck the rinds in there and forgot about them, for longer than 2 weeks, I'm sure! Then my daughter was sick for about a week, then I was sick for two weeks, and...the vinegar got quite scuzzy.
 
I dumped the contents outside, and I must admit that the vinegar didn't smell bad. But it didn't look like something I wanted to clean with either. Maybe next time I try this I'll keep the pickling time to the recommended two weeks. ;-)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I seen that link multiple places but am just to lazy to try it.

Anonymous said...

Oops..typo...I've seen...not that dumb, just lazy!

Tammy said...

Haha...

I suggest if you try it to not leave it in for a month or more. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I've been using a cleaner that my daughter found on pinterest---basically it's white vinegar and Dawn dish soap in a 2:2 ratio. (I use more vinegar than dish soap for less suds, and sometimes I add water). It works fantastic on shower scum and sinks in particular. I quit buying Don Aslett cleaners since using this.
Ruth

Anonymous said...

I meant a 1 to 1 ratio......

And Now I need to go see if I can find it for myself on pinterest.

Ruth

Tammy said...

Ruth, several years ago I posted some natural cleaner recipes on my blog, but I wanted to stop using borax in my cleaners, so for the past year or so I've been using primarily vinegar/water as my cleaner. I use 1:1 ratio for vinegar and water and then add in a squirt of dish soap. It works great for windows and surfaces. When I clean my tub I use a little more vinegar.