Monday, January 10, 2011

~Molly Monkey~



I made this stuffed monkey for my daughter for Christmas. I was not going to be working on it in the wee hours of Christmas morning, but that's exactly what happened! I was stuffing arms and legs, and shedding tears out of exhaustion and frustration over everything. Kevin thought I should skip the skirt because it didn't really matter, but it mattered to me. So I stayed up and made that skirt. It's funny because Molly's mommy doesn't think she needs her skirt, so she usually has it off. I was going to make the shoes (you'll see if you click the link), but they would just be pulled off too, and if I sewed them on that would definitely be a point of frustration for my daughter.

As you can see in the picture, Molly Monkey is already well-loved. She got a sloppy kiss on her face shortly after having been opened on Christmas morning.

I had most of the fabric and supplies needed for Molly, so it was a fairly inexpensive project. I had to buy the brown corduroy and a few pieces of felt. I'm really happy with how she turned out. I do think that if I were to make Molly again, I would use something besides felt for the face.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cute!

Kristi said...

Super cute, Tammy! Hooray for a well loved monkey!

Deb said...

Hi Tammy ~ your monkey project is just adorable! And how funny that both of us were up in the wee hours working on crafts! Thing is...I love the excitement of getting it done at the last minute! :)

Sarah said...

Adorable...I couldn't get the "sock monkey" image out of my head when you were telling me about it so it is fun to see the real deal! :) Great job!

Anonymous said...

Have you thought about putting one of these in your Etsy shop? Sue

Larissa Holland said...

Hi, Tammy! Your Molly is gorgeous! I have so been there in the 2 a.m. Last Minute Present Club. I'm actually the club president and treasurer. :-) So glad you could use the pattern.

Charity said...

That is soo cute!! I love the little face! Why is it we always push those gifts to the last minute?? I was that way as well, though I had to get mine done before we went up to be with my husband's family for Christmas! :) I vowed next year not to put things off but we'll see... :)

Esther said...

Awwww! She's adorable!

Tammy said...

Thank you for the kind comments!

Deb, I would have enjoyed it more had I not been so tired!

Sue, Larissa designed this pattern and offers it free of charge, on the stipulation that it not be used to make profit. So Etsy is out!

Ruth said...

Sometimes those late-night, last-minute sewing sessions can't be avoided. :)

The monkey is adorable...no wonder your daughter loves it so much.

If you want another project, check out these sock monkeys a friend of ours made. http://blog.samuelandleslie.com/2010/10/sock-monkeys.html

Tammy said...

Ruth, those sock monkeys are really cute! I like that she used the fuzzy socks for them!

randi said...

very cute!