Monday, August 22, 2011

~Baby Gift #3~

My sister was given her baby shower last Saturday, and thankfully my package arrived at her mother-in-law's in time for her to open my present at the shower. She told me when she opened the card, she said, "Who's Tammy?" LOL

For this present, I was sneaky, oh-so-sneaky! She is having a BOY and so I sent my brother-in-law a message, asking him to send me some of his t-shirts. He sent me three of his t-shirts.

And this is what I came up with:


Three little baby gowns.

I didn't know the signficance of any of the shirts, but the one on the left is the t-shirt my brother-in-law was wearing when he proposed to my sister. Cue the "awwws": awwwwwwwwwww. LOL (It has my dad's company logo on the left shoulder, which I covered for the sake of privacy. My sister was also working at that company at the time.)

I used this pattern. The sleeves seemed a bit wide and long when compared to baby gowns I had from my daughter. So I shortened them and made them a little narrower. I used a special knit stitch to attach the binding (instructions for binding not included with this pattern/tutorial). Can I just say that I love my new machine? I do. A lot! It has so many nice stitch options! My old machine would have just sucked the knit fabric right into the throat plate.

Knit stitch I used for the binding:


My brother-in-law wears small/medium size shirts so I had to get some extra t-shirts to make the sleeves and contrasting binding. I went to a thrift store when they had their $1 clothes day. I happened to have thread that matched all three of these (six colors of thread) and all the elastic I needed.

And then, because I'm such an awesome aunt, this little outfit too:


Oh, yes, I do. ;) I saw the shirt at Meijer and I just couldn't resist. The pants they had to "match" didn't go at all, so I went to the fabric store and found fabric that matched perfectly! I used Rae's baby pants pattern. I added a cuff that can be turned up:


or down if more length is needed:


I am so happy that I got to make these little things for my coming nephew!

5 comments:

Joyce's Ramblings said...

You do rock! Your gifts are adorable and thoughtful. Your grandma taught you well. :o)

Tammy said...

Thank you, Joyce!

Deb said...

Tammy! Wow! So creative! Those little gowns are amazing! And I love those little striped pants. You did a great job!

Julieann said...

Tammy, you are so talented!!! You sew beautifully!!!! I so wish I could sew like you. That was such a great idea about using your BIL's shirts. Congratulations on being an Aunt:)

Julieann

Sarah said...

Can you be my aunt?!?! LOVE this and that idea with the t-shirts is awesome! You have a unique gift to be able to create such memorable, personalized presents!