Friday, August 19, 2011

~Blueberries~


My daughter and I went blueberry picking recently. I picked a gorgeous day, with a slight wind and warm weather (not hot). Couldn't have picked a better day for blueberry picking, though we were picking at the tail end of the season, so the blueberry bushes were a little thin.

But still, I brought home enough blueberries to put 6 quarts in the freezer, to eat fresh, and to make blueberry focaccia with. Yum.

This week I checked out Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey from our library. It's a delightful story about Little Sal and her mother picking blueberries. Bears are involved, but no one gets hurt. ;) The first few pages reminded me so much of our recent blueberry picking excursion!


My Little Sal had her own bucket.


And ate all her blueberries out of her bucket.


Then noticed that Mommy had a lot of blueberries in her bucket, and it was so much easier to just grab handfuls of blueberries out of Mommy's bucket!


But Mommy pointed to the blueberry bushes and told Little Sal to eat her own blueberries, as Mommy was picking blueberries to put up for next winter!

From there the stories do not parallel, after all, I kept my Little Sal with me, and we didn't come across any bears!

4 comments:

emerrube said...

well, I'm glad you didn't come across any bears. lol

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love that book...reminds me of the time we read it for our Five In A Row studies.

Oh, that focaccia recipe looks yummy!

Ruth (sewchic)

Tammy said...

LOL So am I, Rebecca. ;)

Ruth, I'm wanting to start BFIAR this September!

jen said...

I loved that book when I was little. We used to take it out of the library.