Wednesday, September 12, 2012

~DIY Chocolate Oatmeal Mix~

Several weeks ago, I was in the cereal aisle and noticed some "natural" packets of oatmeal that were on sale. I purchased the chocolate oatmeal and it instantly became a breakfast hit!

List of ingredients:
whole grain rolled oats
sugar
chocolate chips
cocoa
flaxseed
salt
natural flavor
guar gum

I somehow missed the "natural flavor" on the list of ingredients. I haven't done a lot of research but "natural flavor" is sometimes code for "all sorts of odd ingredients that somehow can be labeled natural".

So I decided to make my own!


In a bowl, mix:
1 cup oatmeal
2 T. demerara sugar
2 T. cocoa
1 T. flaxseed
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Store in a container.

To make one serving:
Use 1/2 cup mix to 3/4 cup water, cook for about a minute and a half, or until oatmeal is cooked.

Chocolate goodness in a bowl:


Enjoy a little chocolate for breakfast!

3 comments:

Sue said...

Looks like a nobake in a bowl!

Tammy said...

But WAY less sugar! :)

Deb said...

Tammy, this definitely looks worth trying! I'm not too much on breakfast cereals so maybe this would be a winner! Thanks for posting your DIY version!