Thursday, December 18, 2008

~Christmas Candy~

One of the things I've enjoyed doing in the past is making Christmas candy for gifts. It is fun to give a plate of goodies to neighbors and friends. I haven't done it the past two years, but this year I decided to make my treats again.



Peanut Butter Balls
1 lb. butter or margarine
2 lb. peanut butter (smooth)
3 lb. powdered sugar

Mix butter and peanut butter together. Add powdered sugar. If need be, use spoon when it gets thick. If using real butter, use all powdered sugar. If using margarine you probably won't use all powdered sugar. Make into 1" balls. Dip in almond bark or coating chocolate (2 - 1 1/2 lb. packages). Makes 200. If you cut down the recipe, cut it down by weight, not measurement.

--from a friend

This year, I cut the recipe in half. I didn't want to stand and roll peanut butter balls forever. :-)




Pretzel Sticks
I bought pretzel rods, dipped them in white almond bark and rolled them in crushed candy canes. I did let them harden too long, so I ended up having to recoat them with more almond bark before the candy canes would stick.




Easy Toffee Candy
1 1/4 cups butter, divided
35-40 saltine-style crackers
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cup chocolate chips
3/4 cups finely chopped walnuts

1. Melt 1/4 cup butter; pour into foil-lined jelly roll pan.
2. Arrange crackers over butter, evenly spaced.
3. Melt remaining butter; add sugar and boil 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Remove from heat and add condensed mil. Spread over crackers.
5. Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes, until bubbly and slightly darkened.
6. Remove from oven, cool 1 minute and sprinkle with chocolate chips. Let stand 5 minutes until chocolate is soft and melty, and spread chocolate out.
Sprinkle with nuts; press lightly into chocolate.
7. Cool; refrigerate until chocolate is set.
8. Remove foil and cut candy.

This tastes a lot like Almond Roca. Makes 50 pieces.

This recipe is from a blog I used to read, and I'm drawing a blank as to what the name of the blog is. I just have it printed out, with no source listed.

Edited to add: recipe can be found here, at Life in a Shoe.


I also made some orange fudge. It turned out ok...I had a terrible time cutting it, and I'm not very impressed with it. I won't be making it again, so I didn't want to post the recipe. :-)

6 comments:

Heather Anne said...

Hi Tammy - I am so glad you are feeling up to making your Christmas treats - and sharing the recipes! I think your chocolate balls must be much like the Buckeyes that are so popular here in Ohio - mmmm! The toffee candy recipe looks so good!
Blessings,
Heather

P.S. the word verification is 'scones' - did you do that?

Mrs. U said...

OH YUM!!! These recipes sound DELICIOUS!!!

And just think, this time next year you will have a little helper with you!! :)

His,
Mrs. U

Anonymous said...

I love making chocolate dipped pretzels! So simple, yet so tasty. This year we also did chocolate dipped oreos, then put on the crushed peppermint or chocolate sprinkles.

I also made chocolate/fondant maraschino cherries-- will definitely repeat that one again~!

All of these are great recipes. :)

Tori Leslie said...

Okay Tammy,
I made the peanut butter balls and everyone at our Christmas meeting here in Croatia loved them.
Thanks for posting!

Headmistress, zookeeper said...

I bet that like me, you got the easy toffee candy recipe from Kim C at Life In a Shoe.

It's delicious!

Tammy said...

Yes! Recipe is from Life in a Shoe! Thanks for remembering for me! :-)

Tori, I'm glad they turned out well for you!