Thursday, September 16, 2010

~Green Chicken Enchiladas~

I mentioned in a previous post that I made my own green enchilada sauce. I liked it ok, once I got past the smell of the bell peppers, but Kevin loved it.

Tonight I made green enchilada sauce, following this recipe. It called for roasted, skinned, and seeded chilies, which I have never done before. So I did a quick search and found these directions.

Oh my. Yum, yum! Kevin liked it, but I loved it! LOL The recipe made enough for two meals.

I also made my enchiladas differently tonight. Instead of rolling the burritos, I cut them up into 2-3" pieces. In baking dish, I layered 1/2 of the cut burritos, 2 cups cooked chicken, 1 cup grated cheese, and 1/2 a can's worth of enchilada sauce. (One large can is 28 ounces.) Then I topped it with the remaining burrito pieces, remaining sauce, and 1 cup cheese, and baked it for 30 minutes. This method makes more of a casserole, and the whole thing is moist and you get chicken and cheese with every bite!

I'm still going to play around with the green sauce, till I come up with a sauce that we both love! :-)

1 comment:

Mrs. U said...

FUN!! I'll have to try this recipe, too!!! We all LOOOOOOVED the first recipe you shared and I still have half in my freezer to use next week on more chicken enchiladas. HOLY MOLY was that stuff GOOD!!

I'll definitely try this new recipe next time!!

His,
Mrs. U