Friday, April 01, 2011

~UFO Bust Report~

I had a UFO hidden away which I forgot about when I listed all my UFO's: a stenciled tote.



For Christmas, we made each of our moms one of these totes. I got a smudge of black paint on one of the totes so I set it aside to make one for myself. Kevin did all the work on the silhouette, which was a lot of work, and he did it three times over for these totes.

So this week I got it done. I think it took five minutes? Maybe ten. Certainly it didn't need to be sitting in my closet for the past three months!



My inspiration for this project was this tote, and this pillow. Painting over the paper doily was a little tricky, but I finally figured out the best way to do it, which is a little different than the tutorial I linked to above:
1) Use spray adhesive to attach the doily to the tote.
2) Paint over the doily, making sure to get paint in all the spaces and holes. Make sure the paint on the doily is very thin, you don't want paint puddled up on the doily, because it will seep through to the tote.
3) Use a hair dryer to dry the paint.
4) Remove the doily. This part is time-consuming, but you can use an exacto knife or some other sharp tool to help pull the doily bits off.

For the silhouette, I used a hair dryer as well, rather than leaving it to dry over night.

For other UFO Bust Reports, visit Susan at Blackberry Creek.

9 comments:

Deb said...

Tammy, good job! It's beautiful...but sounds complicated to me!

Susan said...

This is just precious. I love it!

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Love, love, love the tote!

Robin said...

What a delightful idea. It is really sweet and thanks for the instructions.

Mom IsAmagpie said...

What a brilliant tote! Your tutorial is great too.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful tote. Glad you have one for yourself.Joyce

Julie S said...

I love the silhouette! Thanks for posting the link to the pillow...I will try a silhouette of my daughter!

Mama Pea said...

That is really a cute, cute tote and what a great idea! Love it. Isn't that the way it goes with UFOs?! They often only need a little bit done.

I'm going to start on something that wasn't a UFO when this all started but has become one over the past few months. So, like you, I'll be adding to my UFO list. It makes me feel like I'm not making any progress!

Tammy said...

Thank you. :-)