Monday, January 13, 2014

~Shopping~

I feel like a 12 year old announcing some sort of discovery that everyone else probably already knows about, but here goes: I've been grocery shopping in the mornings these last few weeks, and guess what? empty stores! I mean, who knew? (hint: not me!). I've always gone shopping in the afternoon. I'm not really sure why, except that it always seems to take me forever to get my shopping list together and since shopping isn't my favorite activity (far from it!) I procrastinate until I absolutely have to go out.

But I've been pulling my shopping list together sooner, getting us out the door to go shopping or run errands earlier in the day, and it's really exhilarating to get first dibs at parking, not have to weave in and out of a lot of fellow shoppers, and not have to wait excessively to be checked out. Though, on the last point, I will say that there are fewer checkers so sometimes I do have to wait a bit. And another bonus? My daughter is more of a morning person so her attitude and behavior in the store is more pleasing to everyone in our general vicinity. ;-)

So do tell me, what time of day do you shop???

10 comments:

Susan said...

I love to shop first thing in the morning, as soon as the store opens, but I'm like you and don't get my list together early enough & hate grocery shopping so I procrastinate. But on those days I go early - it's great! I enjoy getting back home before lunch and having the rest of the day free.

Tammy said...

The benefits of shopping early are worth it so I'm going to try to keep it up! If only I liked menu-making and shopping more...

Ashley W said...

I usually put my lists together the night before I plan to go shopping while Liam is sleeping. Makes things a lot easier! Then we head out usually by 8:45 the next morning.

Our local market puts out clearanced produce bags at 9am so we always want to be the first ones there for that because they go quickly. Then we usually hit up Meijer by 9:30.

It's so serenely quiet. Typically there are only elderly people out at the stores that time of day and they are super sweet to Liam. I can barely stand it when school is out and there are kids there early in the day ;-)

Anonymous said...

I've discovered that SAMs is dead after 7pm....

Tammy said...

Ashley - the older people are pretty much the only ones at my Meijer too. Some of them are so cute, especially the couples shopping together. :)

Kendra, when I was expecting our daughter, and I was well enough to go out, we'd go grocery shopping around 9 pm. It was very quiet then too (but the same cannot be said for Wal-Mart!).

Deb said...

Hi Tammy, I normally shop right after lunch if it's during a weekday. Crowds aren't that bad. If it's a planned Costco trip where i travel 30 minutes to get to the store with other things to do, I usually leave home in the mornings and more than likely will have lunch at Chic-FiLa before coming home. :)

Melissa Joy said...

I totally love morning shopping too, because not only are the kids happier but I have more energy and the stores are definitely not as bustling. So great! I think I find it best to get to the store before 9am, but honestly that doesn't happen very often because I live 45 minutes from the store anyway. ;) As long as I am done with errands before noon, I consider it a success. :)

Tammy said...

Melissa, when we lived in the country, about 30 minutes from stores, I don't remember when I went shopping. But getting back before noon is certainly a success when you've got so much travel time involved!

Sarah said...

I like to morning shop also, but our routine has been to do shopping after storytime at the library (lunch time). I am the SAME way about lists and waiting. I am not a morning person either and it seems getting out the door before 10am is "early". :) By the time all the routines are done and breakfast is clean, oh and throw this load in first...I am my own worst enemy!

Tammy said...

Yes, Sarah! I'm definitely my own worst enemy when it comes to getting out the door early!