Thursday, January 03, 2008

~Everyday Cassoulet~

Last night's dinner conversation:
Kevin: "Where did you get this recipe?"
Tammy: "From my Betty Crocker cookbook."
K: "Oh, I thought you were going to say 'from a blog'."
T: "No."
K: "Well, I bet it will be going on your blog then!"

Well, Kevin was right. *Smiles*

*****************

Cassoulet is a French bean and meat stew.

1 pound Polish or smoked sausage, diagonaly cut into 1-inch pieces (I used beef sausage)
1 can (15 to 16 oz) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15 to 16 oz) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15 to 16 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
3 medium carrots, thinly sliced (1 1/2 cups)
2 small onions, thinly sliced and separated into rings
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup beef broth
2 TBS packed brown sugar
2 TBS chopped fresh or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves

1. Heat oven to 375*.
2. Mix all ingredients in ungreased 3-quart casserole. Cover and bake 50-60 minutes or until mixture is hot and bubbly and carrots are tender.

*****************


This stew is delicious! Perfect for a cold-weather dinner! I served it with crusty bread and a fresh green salad.

8 comments:

Mrs. U said...

OH TAMMY!! This looks SO delicious!! And the directions are VERY simple!! This will definitely be on our family's dinner table SOON!!! Thank you very much for sharing it!

His,
Mrs. U

Cherish the Home said...

This sounds very yummy! I think I'll be trying it soon. (o:

Blessings,
~Mrs.B

Sadie said...

Mmmm.... looks yummy. I've always wanted to try and make some cassoulet, now I can. Thanks for the recipe!

Mishel said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe! It looks delicious!

Theresa's Notes said...

That sounds great! I'll have to try that.

Shannon Sinclair said...

Thanks for sharing Tammy. I went and got the ingredients tonight and plan to make it! Sounds sooo good!

Arlene said...

LOL, sounds like a conversation between me and my husband -- I am always finding new recipes on blogs! I just bought two packages of kielbasa (had a coupon and there was a good deal), so I'll be adding this recipe to my menu. Thanks for sharing! :)

Charity said...

Thanks for the great recipe! I cooked mine in my crock pot. It worked great!I made it for our church pot luck Sunday and it was a hit... hardly any left!