Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Second time same as the first...

(Referring of course, to my post yetserday.) Why must getting up be so hard? But, I did it! Kevin joked last night about "returning" my alarm clock to me, since it was misplaced on his dresser.

I've had a strong dislike for the alarm clock ever since I was little. When I was six years old my parents bought me an alarm clock. I don't remember ever getting up when it went off. Instead, I developed this thing that I must get up when the minute hand was actually on a number (i.e. 7:30, 7:35, etc.). So I would lay in bed, and go to sleep waiting for the right moment to get up. Not a good thing, but when you are six, your mom doesn't rely on your alarm clock to get you up.

My next alarm clock was wonderful. I got that when I was a young teenager. The snooze button delayed the alarm by four minutes. But it also had a feature that I haven't seen before--if you pushed it twice, it would delay the alarm by eight minutes. Push it three times, twelve minutes. Or maybe twenty times...you get the picture! This alarm also had the feature that if you just let the alarm go, it would turn itself off after a minute or two. The minute or two of torture was worth staying in my warm bed. (Of course, it may have annoyed my sisters who were sharing the room with me!)

Since alarm clocks obviously did not do a good job of getting me out of bed, my dad resorted to being my alarm clock. He would come in, turn the fan on, open the blinds, and tell me to get up. Once he played a song from Patch the Pirate at full blast. The title of the song? "It's Time to Get Up". I say he did that once, because after I got up, I put the tape in my drawer, where it stayed for a good long time!

As you can see, getting up in the morning has been a life-long struggle for me! But I'm working on it! Just wait, one of these days I'll actually consider myself a "morning person!"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel! I had to put my clock in the bathroom, or I would turn it off in my sleep. That was wonderful and I got to sleep an extra few minutes (or hours) but also resulted in kids being late for school, dh being late for work, etc.

Susan said...

I've never had an easy time getting up either. My parents were very frustrated with me by the time I got married! LOL I have been known to bring the clock into bed with me if I just can't seem to wake up. I hold it and when it beeps I push the snooze. My snooze is only 5 minutes, and after about 45 minutes it won't beep anymore. Guess how I found that out? So you're not alone in your morning struggles! I'm glad to hear you're having success this week.

Corene said...

I go back and forth between being able to get up right away and just not wanting to get up.

FrequentReader said...

At least he didn't sing the old camp favorite "Way up in the sky the little birds fly. . ." Ugh! LOL!

Jamie said...

IF I have to get up..and its not something I can flake on..I usually get up. I hate alarms but more than that I hate snooze alarms and someone hitting snooze but allowing them to beep for an hour. DRIVES me crazy. Sometimes because I hate alarms so much I will get up and stand by it till the alarm goes off and say..if you dont get up I am going to turn it off. EVIL I know! Just some people..wont mention names..sets it an HOUR before they want to get up..I am thinking just set it for when you want to get up and just get up..why have ruined sleep from the dumb alarm clock.