Sunday, March 04, 2007

~The Apron Book~



After reviewing (but not completely reading) The Apron Book: Making, Wearing, and Sharing a Bit of Cloth and Comfort by EllyAnne Geisel, I thought I'd share how I like love it.

There are many pictures of vintage aprons throughout the book. Little snippets of household advice are scattered about the pages. Here and there different people share a favorite memory involving loved ones and aprons.

There is a paper pattern in the back for a bib apron, and there are also several patterns drawn out in the book (dimensions are given, you would have to make your own pattern, which would not be hard if you have a bit of sewing experience). Pocket possibilities are drawn out, and explained.

I love this book! It is so fun just to flip through and look at the pictures. It would make a lovely gift to a new bride, and it for sure makes a wonderful gift to yourself! *Smiles*

5 comments:

Jennwith4 said...

Very soon, hopefully, I'll be able to enjoy such things more. I asked a lady in our church to teach me to sew. Have fun with your aprons!

Joyce's Ramblings said...

Tammy,
I don't wear aprons but I have a favorite one.
Sixty years ago when I taught Sunday School I had a boy in my class that was retarded. He couldn't answer questions and some of the class wasn't happy to have him there. I tried to keep him interested. Giving all the information and asking him right away for some of it. The wizz kids didn't like it but this boy's parents thanked me for keeping him in class. At Christmas time I received two gifts. From the wizz kid I got a Hanky. From the retarded boy I received a apron with bias tape pleated all around it and on the pocket. It was beautiful and it had to have taken his mother a great deal of time. I felt ashamed that I didn't spend more time teaching her boy. I taught him till I moved.

Mishel said...

I *love* aprons, so I know I'd like this book too. I collect vintage aprons and also enjoy making them. A few years ago I decided to make all the young ladies I know, an apron for their birthday. I have even made aprons for my hubby, son and son-in-law. : )

Anonymous said...

Tammy, the cover of your apron book almost looks like my apron! My apron theme is fruits and berries so it's very similar.

Both Hannah and Sarah are making an apron now - Edwardian style -- nothing you have on will get splattered with this apron! They ordered the pattern, and they are finding it's very hard to follow. Hopefully, one of them will post pictures.

I'm sure you will enjoy your book! Good choice to pick with your gift money. :)

Julieann said...

Tammy, the book sounds wonderful. From one apron wearing girl to another--I am sure I owuld love this book too:)

Julieann:)