Thursday, March 22, 2007

~Sherbet Goodness~


"Child's First Sock" by Nancy Bush from Knitting Vintage Socks.

One of my sisters gave me this Lorna’s Laces Shepherd sock yarn for Christmas. The colorway is aptly named “Sherbet”.

After Christmas, I ordered Nancy Bush's book, Knitting Vintage Socks , which took its sweet time getting to me! I wanted to make a special pair of socks using this yarn, so I held out for this book!

I picked the Child's First Sock pattern. The pattern was originally a child's sock pattern, but using modern yarn and needles, it is large enough for an adult. The whole lace idea is a new one for me, but I am enjoying it tremendously. After a few pattern repeats, everything just fell into place. At first I wasn’t sure if the yarn would hide the pattern or not, but it seems to be just fine! I do not like long socks, so I didn't do the amount of repeats that the pattern called for. I'm currently working on the heel.

Mmmmm...I love this sherbet! *Smiles*

8 comments:

Sharon said...

Tammy, the socks are beautiful!! I love that yarn color!

Anonymous said...

Tammy,
Your yarn and pattern choices are both lovely. I cannot wait to see the finished socks!

Jennwith4 said...

Those are lovely!

Leigh said...

How pretty!!! I am working on a jacket of all things! My mom and I went to a yarn show and my mom thought I could do it, so here I am :) You give me inspiration!!

I love your blog! Your house is SO pretty!

Take care,
Leigh

Theresa's Notes said...

Beautiful socks, very good job.

Jenn said...

Wow, those are wonderful, What YUMMY colors!!

What source/book would you reccomend for beginners with NO skill at all?

Jenn

Unknown said...

You'll have to post a picture of your final project. I love the color of the yarn.

Tammy said...

Thank you, everyone! I'm down to the toe on my first sock!

Jenn, I would recommend a book called Knit Socks! The book is great for beginners, and describes and pictures every step in great detail. The book is shaped like a sock. =) I checked it out of the library. There are also websites that show great detail, but I haven't used those.