Saturday, September 19, 2009

~"Just" a Wal-Mart Greeter~

We all have people in our lives who influence us - whether for good or bad. I'd like to share a little about a person who influenced me for the better.

There was a difficult time period in my life - about 12 years ago - where I just really felt it hard to believe that God loved me. I seriously considered dropping out of church and not living for the Lord. I didn't have any "huge" sins in mind - I just didn't feel like Bible-reading and church-going were for me any longer.

But then, there was Ray.

Ray was the greeter at Wal-Mart. We saw him every time we went (which was quite often). He had a cheery smile and ready "hello" for us each time we walked through Wal-Mart's doors. We could have been his long-lost relatives, as heartily as he greeted us!

But then I started noticing how he greeted everyone else. It was exactly the same. No matter what the person looked like, rich or poor, he had a happy face and genuine greeting for each and every person.

And then one day I happened to notice his bracelet. WWJD. What Would Jesus Do? And I realized he was living out his life for the Lord, right there inside Wal-Mart's doors. Each person got a glimpse of our Savior through the smile of Ray.

The Lord worked through Ray to reach out His loving arms to me. Through Ray, I realized anew God's love for me. And I knew that I could never walk away from God. All because of the greeter at Wal-Mart.

Ecclesiastes 9:10a "Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might."

1 comment:

Heather said...

For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die — but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God. For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life. 11 More than that, we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation. -Romans 5:6-11