Thursday, September 24, 2009

~Blueberry Picking, and general rambling~

I wrote this last August, but I'm not quite sure why I never published it...

Last night we went to a U-pick blueberry farm. It was raining softly, but that didn't hamper us. The blueberries were abundant on the bushes, there was a stand of trees in the near distance with birds providing beautiful melodies for us, and the air was *so fresh*. It was just beautiful!

I had never picked blueberries before, so I had no idea what to expect. It was fun to see the blueberry plants. I was reflecting on how far removed we are from our food. We go to the grocery store and buy it. Most food in the grocery store is prepared for us in some form. Until this week, I've never even thought of what a blueberry plant might even look like!

That's not to say that I've never picked anything. I've picked lots of fruit! I've picked apples, apricots, peaches, tangerines, lemons, oranges, grapefruit, blackberries, raspberries, figs, cherries, strawberries, and grapes (to name a few), and gathered walnuts and almonds, and picked (and grown) many different types of vegetables as well!

I think it is very important for children to grow up knowing where their food comes from, and enjoying the great outdoors! I'm glad that I had that privelege while growing up though sometimes I didn't exactly think of it as a privelege, because it can be hard work! But looking back, it is a great privelege, and one that I want to provide for our daughter!

Image: just one of many blueberry bushes at the blueberry farm.

No comments: