Sunday, May 25, 2008

~Taking a Knitting Class~

I've been going through my 101 List trying to get things done. I have less than a year left to accomplish my list! Eeks...

OK, so some of the items on my list are just not going to happen. One of which is: #89 - Take a knitting class. When I wrote out my 101 List, I was a fairly new knitter, and there was a lovely yarn shop which offered classes for a decent price. I anticipated taking a class there.

Two things have changed: I have a little more knitting under my belt, and the LYS (local yarn shop) closed its doors. There are other LYS's around, but they charge an exorbitant amount for the classes, and they require you to purchase all your materials for the class there. I can understand the latter, but not the first. If they really want to encourage people to learn to knit/learn new knitting skills, why do they have to charge so much?

So I've made the decision to not complete this goal on my list. At least, not unless the class meets my criteria: fairly inexpensive and interesting !

Image source

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like how you are deliberately choosing to not complete your goal. I am trying to get more deliberate about things this year myself.

I looked at your list and noticed #75-read a biography of an American President. May I recommend David McCullough's John Adams. You can get it on CD to listen to (I did this while quilting!). I know there's been a lot of hoopla about the HBO version (which I have yet to see), but the book is a really good portrait of the man and the times. Hubby and I really enjoyed it.

Tori Leslie said...

I love the idea of a list. I'm going to do that, and maybe soon!

I love the way you list the image source at the bottom, if you don't mind I may borrow that idea.
Thanks and Happy Memorial Day

Tammy said...

Jennifer, thanks for the book recommendation, I'll have to check it out. Tori, go ahead! I don't mind at all! :-)

Tammy R said...

Hi Tammy!
I came across your blog while Googling for bloggers named Tammy, since that's my name, too. Lol. Your blog is so pretty and each entry is very fun to read. I'll definitely come back to read more!

Like you, I have also been learning to knit...for the past 3 years. *Hides in embarrassment* I've been trying to finish knitting a scarf since, dun dun dun, 2005!

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should offer to teach a knitting for beginners class. Or, you could find a grandma that has been knitting FOREVER...she would probably be more than happy to show you some new knitting tricks!