Monday, December 11, 2006

~Christmas~

Christmas is just around the corner! It seems like every blog I visit and every person I talk to, have set up all their Christmas decorations and their tree. This year we are right in the middle of our renovation project, so it seemed pointless to get the decorations out and then have to work around them.

But I still feel left out! I miss having the sparkling, cheery decorations out; the soft lights of the Christmas tree, and the pretty clutter around the house. Next year, no excuses, it's all going up!

Have you noticed the new trend of those nylon air-filled yard decorations? There is someone near our neighborhood who has a whole yard full of them. Now, perhaps they got them all on clearance last year, but I still think they each represent a lot of money. One or two may look cute, but a whole yard full? Their nativity scene is very dilapidated compared to the rest of their yard "art". Well, end of rant. *Giggle* I don't even have a wreath on my door, so who am I to criticize? *Smiles*

I finally bought our Christmas cards on Saturday. Now I just need to get them in the mail!

So, how are your holiday preparations going? Isn't the month of December just whizzing by?!?!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas!
I am glad to hear you have a start on your Christmas cards. I have not started yet but I really am not procrastinating...I just got the stamps to make them on Saturday. Maybe tonight I will get them done, or at least started! I am halfway through my shopping, so at least I am making progress there. It always takes a while since we have a large family. Internet shopping is so much easier than trying to fight the crowds, so I will probably do some of that tonight.

Good luck on your home renovations, shopping, and card addressing!

Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy,

We haven't done any Christmas decorations in several years. We aren't against them but haven't been home during the holidays to justify putting them up. However, this year they are going up! I don't have alot of them but they are very special to me (from my childhood, made by my mom or gma, given to me by a friend, etc). This morning Abigail and I picked up some fake garland at Kmart and put it on the mantel. I wrapped colored lights amongst the branches and decorated it with plaid bows, cross-stiched ornaments, small hurricane vases with candles (unlit :)) and hand-made snowflakes. It looks very festive without being over-the-top. I still have some ornaments left so I think I will get a small tabletop tree with my Michael's coupon and set it up in the dining room. Then I can use my tree skirt. My mom made it in the early 80's and it is so neat... 3 different Christmas calico prints gathered in 3 tiers with jaunty white ricrack. Can you tell I am happy to be decorating this year?!?!

Sarah Joy said...

We haven't done any yet and I'm starting to get testy.

I am very happy that I'm not married to a Scrooge. I was raised with one, and that can be frustrating!

Anonymous said...

too funny...we have neighbors who seem to love those big nylon decorations as well. Their yard is packed!

Jennwith4 said...

We have a giant Frosty across the street from us.

Anonymous said...

My wreath is on the door... My lights are up... I collect snowman but I am not putting a six foot puffy snowman thingy in my yard. LOL

They are cute...

Anonymous said...

I can *so* relate, as we are in the middle of a re-remodel (we have had MAJOR contractor problems and the work stopped this past year...but it started up again last week...yeah!!). This Christmas we only put up a small tree and a very few decorations. I was thinking earlier today though...it's funny because my house is dusty and work is going on all around, but I will still light my Yankee candles. : ) So my house might be a wreck, but it smells REALLY good!

Susan said...

I have one decoration out - the Christmas tree cookie jar I received in the mail today from my sister! We keep making plans to decorate, and then something comes up that stops us. Then Wes scheduled our carpets to be cleaned this Wednesday, and the cleaners want everything movable moved (except for heavy furniture) . . . and well, we just couldn't see decorating, then moving everything and setting it all back up. So we're decorating Wednesday night. Period.

Anonymous said...

I need to finish my decorating & do my cards & wrapping. I am so slow lol.

But this week is a busy one anyway as I am playing a couple of songs in the Christmas program at church on the piano backing up the kids & the ladies circle group. I am so nervous lol. Don't ever learn to play the piano cuz if you do folks will want you to start playing for stuff lol. I don't mind. I just have to keep in mind I am doing it for God...