Wednesday, November 28, 2007

~A Unique Dining Experience~

Last night Kevin and I were invited, along with several other couples, to dinner at a couple's house from our church. The invitation was a little mysterious...we were to come with a good sense of humor for a unique dining experience. Hmmmm...

Well, we arrived, and the host and hostess welcomed us warmly. We were seated around the table, and the host and hostess told us that we were to have a relaxing, fun evening, and that they would be serving us. (I was very touched by that--an older couple serving younger couples. What an example! "Older" being relative in this case, somewhere in my parent's age bracket, and no I don't think of my parents as "old". *Grin*)

We were given a menu, with 16 items on one side, and we had to fill out our menu on the other side. We had to put down four choices for each of four courses, not repeating anything. Of course, the menu did not say "roast beef" and "bread" and "fork", etc. It was all in biblical terms -- the roast beef was the prodigal son's feast, for example.

Kevin picked out what he assumed were the silverware for his first course. That way, he would have his silverware for the entire meal. Well, he didn't know that each course would be cleared away before the next course was served! So he got a knife, fork, napkin and toothpick for his first course...and then no silverware to eat with the rest of the meal. LOL

For my first course, I received a roll, dessert (yummy! dessert should always come first! LOL), and rice. Oh, and a napkin. We all had a blast. It was hilarious--at some point in the dinner, everyone had to eat with their fingers. Oh, and it was delicious food! Totally worth digging in to! ;-) There was much laughter as we were served each course. I got a fork with my salad, which was handy. It was also handy that the hostess forgot to collect my fork when she took my salad plate. So I got to eat my next course with my fork. HAHA I was ratted out by our dinner companions mid-way through the next course, but since it was her fault for forgetting she let me keep my fork. Woohoo! ;-)

I think it is safe to say that we all came with a sense of humor, as evidenced by the laughter about the table! It was a very pleasant evening, and while I wouldn't normally be thrilled to eat with my fingers, everyone else was doing it, so why not? *Smiles*

I love it when we are invited over to someones house, and they are the "hostess with the mostest". It provides me with more Titus 2 examples and helps me to see areas which I can improve upon in my own hospitality!

7 comments:

Susan said...

I've heard of dinners like that, and thought they'd be fun! Glad you had a good time!

cherylharrell (Mrs Harrell) said...

That sounds alot like a dinner our church had awhile back. It was a mystery dinner. They way they did it some folks got the dessert first before the meal & others got the meal first. It was fun! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the experience, Tammy. I'm always interested in hearing new hospitality ideas! Sounds funny!

Melissa said...

My friend's mom put on a mystery dinner like that for her birthday party when we were kids, except some of the food items were spaghetti and Jell-O--challenging to eat without utensils! It was a lot of fun, though. I'd like to do that someday for my own kids, or maybe even host an adult mystery dinner party! That would be a hoot!

Jennwith4 said...

How fun! I'm going to save this idea!

Anonymous said...

That sounds like so much fun! What a great idea that gest people laughing and having a great time at a meal time!

Sadie said...

Sounds fun! I've never heard of this before. Makes me want to try it!