Friday, February 20, 2015

52 Projects (Project 6)

When I saw this washcloth tutorial/pattern, I knew I had to make it. I dug through my yarn and pulled out some bamboo yarn (solid pink). It worked up fast and feels so lovely. I immediately wanted to make more. Since we were going to Meijer that same night, I bought a skein of cotton yarn.

I got two washcloths from the one skein. I got to the end of the second one and had three rows left and no yarn to knit with. So I did the reasonable thing and bought more yarn pulled it out and started over. The second one is a little smaller - I started with 13 stitches instead of 14, and followed the pattern with the same number of increases, but adjusted the number of stitches after the yarn over (7, 6, 5, and 4).

As you can see, the join is visible. I do feel that for something as utilitarian as a washcloth, it's ok. But going forward, I plan to do a provisional cast on and a kitchener stitch to close them. It will make the seam invisible.

With a bar of soap, these seem like a lovely gift. There will be more of these coming from my needles!

I gave the solid pink one to my daughter. She was very excited to have a "special washcloth". :-)

Cost: $0 for the bamboo from my stash, $1.90 for the cotton yarn
Running Cost: $10.29

No comments: