Wednesday, November 08, 2006

~Dusting off my Flute~

About a month ago, I pulled out my flute so that I could take a picture of it. My flute is a beautiful instrument that has been relegated to the closet for quite a long time. I played it a bit the evening that I pulled it out, and thought about practicing it, but I didn't pick it up again.

Last week, I found out about a lady giving adult flute lessons in a group setting, and I signed up! She's already gone three weeks, but she urged me to come anyhow. So last night I pulled out my flute and joined the group. It's a small group: just four students and the teacher. The funny thing is that three out of the five of us are named Tammy! Tammy isn't that popular of a name, so it's quite unusual to get three of us together all at once! =)

Anyhow, I had a great time last night, and learned how to hold my flute better. Ahhhh...scales! I never did practice those, and what do you think the instructor started the lesson with? You guessed it! Scales! I'll be practicing them this week for sure and certain!

My parents gave me my flute for my high school graduation, and I think they would be pleased that I'm pulling it out again! Even though my schedule is busy, this is definitely something I want to fit in!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to be a flute player, once upon a time.

Don't know if I could play a scale now to save my life!

Corene said...

There are at least 2 Tammy's at my church.

Cherish the Home said...

What a well-rounded person you are! A woman of many talents. (o;

And I must disagree....Tammy is a pretty popular name.

Her said...

I used to play the french horn in school but I can't afford even a used one now! :( My school provided the more expensive instruments.

Have fun with your flute. It is such a beautiful sounding instument!

Julieann said...

Tammy that is awesome that you are taking the flute back up:)

p.s. My sister's name is Tammy:)

Julieann:)

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Tammy! One is never to old to start playing an instrument IMO. I played violin for 1 lowly year in grade school and I am thinking about taking lessons again.

Kristi said...

We bought our daughter, Hannah, a flute about three years ago for Christmas and she has really taken off on it. We bought her a piccolo last year. She plays them in our church orchestra.

I'll have a video of her and our oldest son playing Christmas music on my blog in a few weeks.

~Kristi

Arlene said...

Oooh, I always wanted to learn how to play the flute; you'll have to post a video/recording of something you play! :)

Anonymous said...

That really is a beautiful piece. Love the picture!!! I played one year.....would love to start learning again. :)

Jenn

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I always wished I had learned piano. Oh, and Happy belated Birthday! Hope it was good. I like your blog design, did you do it yourself?

Anonymous said...

That's great that you decided to start practicing again!! I took piano lessons for TOOOO long and have recently started thinking about making myself practice again. When I look at some of the pieces I played, I am SHOCKED that I could do it and sad that I don't remember how!!!!

Have fun with all the other Tammy's!!! :)

His,
Mrs. U

Shari said...

that's so cool!

Tammy said...

Thanks for all the comments! I've managed to practice two nights in a row, even though we've been busy! I can tell the difference in my tone already!

Kristi, I look forward to the video! Arlene, I don't know that I have the capability of posting a video. Hmmm...

Judi, thanks for the comment! My current blog design was by ByGrace's son (see the blog link in the sidebar), and I made the header.

Holly, what a coincidence that you have a sister named Tammy. ;-)

Mishel said...

Good for you Tammy!! I admire adults who take music lessons...it takes a lot of dedication.

Anonymous said...

That is neat that you are having lessons. You should bring your flute when you come home. Did you take that picture?