Wednesday, November 15, 2006

~Tulip Time~

Last Saturday I planted my bulbs that I have been waiting to plant. I was waiting for: a) warmer weather (hahaha--as if that was going to happen!), and b) time.

I finally got "b" last Saturday. "A" didn't happen! *Smiles*

I planted quite a few tulips, daffodils, and crocuses. I'm looking forward to next spring when they come up!

It gets even better though! My next door neighbor got hundreds of bulbs from her work, and she offered me some. Now, how could I turn an offer like that down? I'll be donning my coat and gloves and digging more holes this Saturday!

Do you plant bulbs? I think it greatly depends on what your climate is. Now, there are many people who plant bulbs in warm climates, but I would say a greater percentage of people in colder climates plant bulbs. Why? Because we want to see color as soon as possible after a looooong winter!

Image courtesy of Tesselaar Bulbs.

11 comments:

Jennwith4 said...

I've been wanting to plant tulips for my husband. I haven't done it yet though.

Joyce's Ramblings said...

Have you been to Holland Mi. and seen all the tulips in bloom? It is so beautiful to see all the colors and all the different types of tulips. I was blown away by the sight.

Dawn said...

My DH ordered some bulbs recently and as soon as they arrive, I will no doubt be out in the garden...

Kristi said...

I love tulips. I used to have a whole area of them. I should plant some bulbs this week~

~Kristi

Anonymous said...

I planted 50 bulbs lining our walkway to the front porch a few weeks ago. Bright Yellow, Bright Red and a mixture of both. Can't wait for the brilliance Spring will bring forth. However, a lot of people have their bulbs eaten by squirrels around here. Our bulbs came up this spring though, so hopefully it won't be a problem this year either!

Jenn

Tammy said...

Jennifer! Nice to see you! I've missed your blog updates!

Joyce - Yes, we have been to Holland. We went with John and Rebecca when they came to visit us. We were there a bit before the full tulip season, but there were still many tulips to enjoy.

Jenn - I realize you won't want to replant your tulips, but for next year, maybe--if you encase the tulip bubls in chicken wire, they grow just fine, and the squirrells can't get to them. Also, if you plant them one foot deep, the squirrells have less of a chance at getting them.

Dawn and Kristi--have fun planting! =)

Shari said...

oh that's soo cool that your friend gave you bulbs! i got to plant bulbs about a week ago. tulips and hyacinths. i already have a ton of daffodils. i can't wait to see them peeking through in the spring.

Anonymous said...

I keep "meaning" to plant bulbs every fall but get sidetracked.

The new look is great!! I keep trying to figure out how to post a signature like yours--whether you do manually every time you post, or where the CSS code exists that calls for the image to insert automatically every time you post.


have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Tammy,

I agree that northerners plant more bulbs! When hubby and I lived in Maine -- tulips galore! We live further south now -- very few people plant bulbs here. Oh, and in Florida -- no bulbs. :o( But hey - who can complain when you have the bright splash of tropical plants gently swaying in the breezes! :o) [okay - I complained, but I'm just not a tropical kind of gal! :o)]

Jennwith4 said...

My husband thought the picture was all of your tulips. :)

Anonymous said...

I do love tulips. But, I plant more daffdils bulbs because they naturalize here and keep multiplying year after year. Our climate is too warm here for tulips to naturalize. But, you can have some very lovely ones if you are willing to plant them every season.