Saturday, August 12, 2006

Fresh Salsa

I don't have an official recipe for this salsa. A sweet Mexican lady taught my dad how to make it.

Tonight I used:
5 medium tomatoes
1/2 bunch cilantro
8 tomatillos
3 cloves garlic
1 jalapeno pepper
1 small can tomato paste
salt
1 teaspoon vinegar

Chop about half the tomatoes. The pieces don't have to be too small, but not too large either.


Process the other half in a food processor. The goal is to have crushed tomatoes, not juice. Mince garlic and add to tomatoes.


Here's a picture of tomatillos, in case you aren't familiar with them:


Chop about half of the tomatillos.


In the food processor, put 1/2 bunch cilantro, the other half of the tomatillos, and the jalapeno. To prepare the jalapeno, wash and cut down the middle lengthwise. Remove the seeds (this makes it less hot), and chop into smaller pieces. Process until everything is all chopped up.


Add tomato paste, salt and vinegar. Mix. Enjoy!


One of the things I enjoy about Mexican restaurants is the chips and fresh salsa they serve before the meal. This salsa is very similar to that served in Mexican restaurants.

5 comments:

Cherish the Home said...

I LOVE homemade salsa! I like my tomatoes diced and not blended....with tons of cilantro and some garlic! So fresh tasting.

Arlene said...

Mmmmm, this looks delicious, Tammy! I've never made salsa at home before, but I'm motivated to try it now :~) Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Rachel said...

We love making our own salsa! We grow cilantro and freeze it...so we have it fresh year-round...just to make salsa!

Another alternative is to use fresh-squeezed lemon juice in the place of vinegar. Gives it a little more of a zest. :)

Tori Leslie said...

Oh I love salsa, I always mean to make some but you know what, we can't get cilantro here. Maybe I'll grow some when we come back from furlough.
hmm, now I'm craving chips and salsa! ;0)

Paula said...

Yummy! Pass the tortilla chips, please!