Thursday, February 19, 2009

~Infant CPR Class~

A few nights ago, Kevin and I took an infant CPR class. This class varies several ways from a regular, certified CPR class: the methods used are for "friends and family" rather than the methods used by the medical world, and it was specific towards infants and small children.

I have never had a CPR class, and the last time Kevin took CPR was in 8th grade. The class session was just under 3 hours, and was a video course that you practiced on an infant mannequin/dummy right along with the video. After the video, we also went over other emergencies that are specific to infants and children.

If you spend any amount of time with children, I highly recommend taking a class such as I've described! It was well worth our evening, and while I hope that we never have to use what we've learned, it could quite possibly be the difference between life and death if we are ever around an infant or child that is not breathing and/or is choking.

To find a class in your area, check through your local hospital or health clinic.

2 comments:

Scribbit said...

I should take a refresher course, it's been so long I've forgotten most of it.

Anonymous said...

wow, good for you for taking the class! we're only taking a prenatal class, but I think there's a bit about infant care and cpr in there...