Tuesday, May 17, 2011

~Yellow Calico Top + Denim Shorts~

You may recall this dress:


Made from this pattern:


I made the top, Butterick 4176, view A, and the shorts, Simplicity 7189, view D:


For this outfit:




I changed two things on the top. First, I made an interlined facing instead of finishing the neckline with bias tape. It's so much neater that way. Secondly, I installed a zipper instead of the opening with a button and loop. It's just preference, but I like the way this looks so much better. :)


I don't have fancy printed labels, but when I sew bottoms (pants, shorts, bloomers, skirts) with a front/back, I sew a little loop of ribbon into the inside back to mark the back. It makes getting dressed easier!


I made this about two months ago, but because of our cloudy weather I never got around to photographing it till just now. My daughter has worn it twice now and it fits her well with room to grow. She's a petite 2, so the shorts fit her more like culottes, which I like.

9 comments:

Becky Dempsey said...

The outfit is really cute. I have a hard time knowing what size to make. They never seem to be what they say they will be! For my girls' Easter dresses, I had to make them 2 sizes smaller than their normal (Store bought) size to get them to fit!

Tammy said...

Thank you, Becky! It's hard to figure out because up till size 2, they are "Small, Medium, Large, Extra Large". What does that even mean? Ha. For the summer sewing I just went with size 2 and knew she'd eventually grow into them if they were too big to start with (and most of them were).

Becky Dempsey said...

If I'm doing both girls the same outfit. I usually start with what I think should fit the younger one and if it's too big, then it becomes the outfit for the older one and I make a smaller one :)

Ashley W said...

That outfit is so cute! I would just like to say that if I came across any of your projects in a Second Hand store I'm not sure I would be able to tell that they "homemade"! You do such a great job!

Tammy said...

Thank you, Ashley! :-)

sertyan said...

I really like the top, the pleats on the front are darling..and the little puffed sleeves as well.

NHizName said...

Haven't visited your blog in a very long time( well, actually, I haven't visited *any* of the blogs I enjoy in a long time)...but wow, have you been busy! Love all the things you make....

Tammy said...

Sertyan and Janice, thank you for your kind comments and for stopping by! :)

daisyfleur said...

Your blog is lovely - the green dress is so pretty - I love the three buttons and pleats.
We have a shared interest in vintage patterns and funnily enough we just blogged about our collection!
(http://daisyfleur.blogspot.com/ - take a look if you have a moment)