Friday, March 31, 2006

Songs we sing

Children will often make up words to songs, because they don't understand the original words, and their words make more sense to them.

Examples~
One sister sang (when she was little, of course!):
"Whole Wheat, Whole Wheat, Whole Wheat" to the tune of "Holy, Holy, Holy." She may not have known what "Holy" meant, but "Whole Wheat" was the flour that my dad was baking bread with!

Another sister had this rendition of "Low in the Grave":
"Low in the gravy lay". Just depends how you break the words apart!

I confess, I had a song that I didn't know the true words to until I was a teenager! We had a college tape with a song that included the words "Oh sinner go free". I thought it was "Oh synagogue free"...I wasn't sure what exactly that meant, but that's what I HEARD when I listened to that tape!

I'm sure that those of you with kids in your life have heard a song or two messed up. Do share please!

4 comments:

carrie_belle said...

My 2yo brother sings the western cowboy song "Rawhide" with my best friend's name...
Its not "Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' keep them doggies rollin'..."
But, "Megan, Megan Rowland,..."

(grin)

Tammy said...

Oh Carrie! You reminded me of another song one of my sisters changed the words to!

We had a CD with a song that had the words, "Don't call me lucky, call me blessed" in it.

My sister changed it to: "Don't call me Carmen, call me Les".

There was a couple in our church named Les and Carmen. LOL

Anonymous said...

Did anyone else sing about "gladly the cross-eyed bear"?

Anonymous said...

How about "come lettuce worship and bow down"

The thing I had the most trouble figuring out when I was small was what in the world the "wind sheild factory" had to do with making it feel colder outside. must be som serious pollution ;)

Mrs Nehemiah