Thursday, July 02, 2009

~Sewing Machine Meme~

What brand and model do you have?
A Singer 500A Slant-O-Matic

How long have you had it?
For nearly 9 years

How much does that machine cost (approximately)?
It is an old machine - and it was given to me, so I'm not sure what it would cost to get one identical to this one.

What types of things do you sew (i.e. quilting, clothing, handbags, home dec projects, etc.)?
Whatever strikes my fancy! Clothing, handbags, craft projects, etc.

How much do you sew? How much wear and tear does the machine get?
My sewing goes in spurts. Right now I'm sewing quite a bit.

Do you like/love/hate your machine? Are you ambivalent? Passionate? Does she have a name?
I love my little sewing machine! It is fun to have an old machine, but on the other hand I'd really like to have a newer machine with more "bells and whistles".

What features does your machine have that work well for you?
It has special stitches, but I don't tend to use those. I basically use the straight stitch, zig-zag stitch, and buttonhole attachment.

Is there anything that drives you nuts about your machine?
I took it to a machine repair shop to get "maintenance" and they messed up the timing. I still need to get that fixed (I'll use a different machine repair shop!)

Do you have a great story to share about your machine (i.e., Found it under the Christmas tree? Dropped it on the kitchen floor? Sewed your fingernail to your zipper?, Got it from your Great Grandma?, etc.!)? We want to hear it!
It was given to me by a long-time friend of my mother-in-law. We drove from California up to Washington to get it! On the way home, Kevin's truck hit 100,000 miles. We have a picture to prove it! :)

Would you recommend the machine to others? Why?
This machine is very sturdy and a great workhorse. If I were looking for a machine, I would probably buy new. But overall, I've been very happy with this machine!

3 comments:

Heather said...

Your machine looks wonderfully retro! I really like the style vintage machines have. Newer machines may have more bells and whistles, but they have a more utilitarian look.

Charity said...

I use an old Singer as well. (You might have seen it on my blog.) It is my grandmother's, but she lets me use it. :) I am thinking of buying a new machine, but this one does such a great job. I'll probably keep it as long as I can! My grandmother bought it to make my mom's diapers! :)

cherylharrell (Mrs Harrell) said...

My mom whose sewing machine looks like yours said hers needs fixing. Those like this tend to need fixing sometimes...