Thursday, July 08, 2010

~Baby Skirt~

So, babies don't really have the physique for skirts, but still, who can resist a cute skirt?

Last year I started the tradition of buying us all a flag t-shirt from Old Navy for us to wear on the 4th of July. This year's shirt for The Baby:


and I had the perfect red and white-striped fabric in my fabric bin! I made a skirt with attached bloomers underneath.


For the bloomers, I used my trusty pattern from Ottobre 3/2009. For the skirt, I just cut a piece of fabric the same width as the bloomers. I sewed them together separately, then attached them at the waist, folded down to make a waist band and then hemmed the skirt to a nice length.


I got a little lazy and decided to make a deep hem, instead of measuring and cutting off the fabric. I figured that if my daughter gets taller, I can just lengthen the hem. Right? And I also figured that the deep hem was part of the "design". And I'm the designer, right? :-) I was pleased with the finished product, though I think if I make any more in the future I would use a lighter-weight fabric for the bloomers. The fabric that the skirt is made out of is not super heavy but all together this is kind of bulky. I like that the skirt and bloomers are attached though!

2 comments:

Susan said...

We got Canada Day shirts from Old Navy this year. It's the first time we've ever gotten them, even when living in the US! I got one for each of our boys too; they'll enjoy wearing them down in California! :)

The little bloomers and skirt are cute. I made Beth a couple of skorts several years ago and learned to make the shorts underneath of something lightweight, too. I bet Baby looked cute in her little outfit!

Joyce's Ramblings said...

Now that is a cute outfit. Your little girl must be one of the very best dressed.