Friday, July 09, 2010

~Stash Flash: Thread~

Sew, Mama, Sew! has asked to see their reader's thread collection. Following are the questions they asked, and my answers!

How did you select colors for your personal thread collection?
Besides white and black, I typically buy thread on an as-needed basis.

Do you always match the color perfectly to your project?
As perfectly as I possibly can!

Do you ever use contrasting thread?
Occasionally, but the bulk of my sewing I use matching thread.

Do you use the same color in the bobbin as the upper thread?
Yes. When I am piecing a quilt I'm not so picky about the bobbin though.

What if a fabric has big areas of very different colors?
I choose the dominant color and go with that.

Do you have any tips or suggestions about choosing thread?
If you can't find a thread that matches your fabric perfectly, go with the darker hue. The lighter color will stand out more. Many quilters use grey thread to piece their quilts, as it blends with both light and darker fabrics.

Can you show us a picture(s) of your thread collection?


I keep my thread in the top drawer of my sewing cabinet:


Do you ever buy thread because you fall in love with the color (without a particular project in mind)?
This question is kind of funny to me. =P I have never fallen in love with a spool of thread.

Do you “invest” in thread?
Only grudgingly! I buy thread for my projects as I need to and I don't like it when I have to buy thread at full price!

What types of thread do you have? (elastic, quilting, all-purpose, wool, etc.)
I use all-purpose for most of my projects. I also have elastic and quilting thread, and some strong thread for hand sewing.

No comments: