Thursday, February 23, 2006

Horchata

Horchata is a Mexican cinnamon-rice drink that I enjoy. In fact, I made it for Valentine's Day for my Mexican dinner--but I used a packet from the store.

My mom recently sent me a recipe for horchata, and I made it last night. It was so easy, and it's so good! I used Stevia (a natural sweetener) to sweeten it, instead of the honey or sugar. I added too much Stevia, so it has a little bit of a bitter after-taste, but I still enjoyed it. I haven't used Stevia much, so I'm still experimenting with it.

Here's the recipe:
1 c. cooked brown rice (hot)
4 c. water
Blend in blender for 4 minutes, strain.
Return to blender and add
1/4 c. honey OR 1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
Blend til mixed. Refrigerate until cold. Add crushed ice if desired.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Holly, that's gross! We NEVER did that! Besides, you're mixing two stories.)

Anonymous said...

Yum, Yum. Horchata is good. It is one of my favorite beverages here in Mexico.