Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Hospitality

Kevin and I have discovered that hospitality is not a lost art. At least, it isn't in our church. We were quite busy last weekend. We had our youth pastor and his family over for dinner on Friday night, and then Saturday we went to a dinner party, and Sunday after church we were invited to a couple's house to watch the Super Bowl.

We got to talking about who has invited us over for dinner since we've been going to this church (since August):
~the youth pastor
~the pastor
~a couple that was having a bon fire in their back yard
~one of the deacons
~Jessica, a lady my age, who had me over when both Kevin and her husband were gone for the evening
~the dinner party I just mentioned
~and the Super Bowl dinner

This was all in just a few months. On the other hand, we counted how many church member's homes we had been invited to in our previous 5 years of marriage. We counted six homes. We didn't count the youth activities we've had at other people's homes--just the dinners that someone said, "Kevin and Tammy, please come for dinner." We have had quite a bit of company in our house over the years, so it is not as though we're not doing our part.

It takes time and work to have someone over for dinner, and most people don't want to go to that work, I suppose. I know that I greatly appreciate being invited into someone's home. Even if all they've done is order pizza, it still gives you a "warm and fuzzy" feeling to know that they specifically wanted you to come to their home!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great reminder. For many years we made sure to have a church family over for dinner at least once per month. The past year we've really let it slide. Thanks for the inspiration to revive our family tradition of hospitality and fellowship!

It is wonderful that you have such a neat church family! Those are special!

Jeannie said...

Tammy and Kevin, I'd like to invite you to my home for dinner on August 8, 2006. Just six months away so you can make arrangements. :) Bring as many friends as you like!

Tammy said...

Aunt Jeannie, I would love to! I don't think we'll be able to make it though! But I know you're looking forward to Darren's visit!