Monday, June 05, 2006

Encouragement, part 2

My mom commented in the Contest post, and I have copied her comments here, so that everyone would get a chance to read them:

As a child, my mom taught me to do things for others when I was down in the dumps. It worked then, and it still works today! Doing something to encouage someone else always encourages you, too!

I love to do things for others, but I want to share some ways I have been blessed by other people's encouragement to me. When my husband was teaching in a Christian school we didn't have money for extras, so it was a special treat for one of the ladies to take me out for pizza or to have me come to her beauty salon for a complimentary haircut.

At another church, the ladies got together and came to my house every day during a difficult pregnancy. They would clean and do anything I needed done. Some of them would bring a meal. One lady took my laundry home with her each week, the whole time I was sick. She would bring it back clean, ironed and mended. There was another lady that would pick me up and take me to yard sales. We would search for nice clothing for my little girls. When we found good things, she would buy them for me. At other times she would stop by the house with a roasted chicken, a bag of Pampers, or some storybooks to read to the little ones, so I could have some time to myself. The encouragement these ladies gave me was priceless.

Someone once gave me this idea for the pastor's wife. On a given day, each of the ladies in the church sent her a card of thanks and appreciation. Enclosed in the card was a one dollar bill, with the words to "spend it on something for yourself." Imagine the fun she had when she went out to check her mailbox, and it was packed with notes of encouagement, and a whole stack of one dollar bills!

There was an older man in our church who would bring us huge bags of produce. The girls and I would put it all up and it was a blessing. The most touching part of it was that this man was partly crippled, and he would have to crawl on his hands and knees to harvest the fruit and vegetables he brought us. It really meant a lot to me.

Once the Lord impressed me to "go shopping" for my pastor's wife. So, I went to Wal-mart, and went through the store and picked up all the little things that I routinely buy for our home and family. I stuffed them al in a huge gift bag and took them to her. She took each item out and said, "How did you know? How did you know?" What type of things did I buy her? Shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, toilet paper, dish soap, hand soap, bandaids, Pampers, Q-tips, tape, paper towels, napkins, stuff like that. I had wondered how my gift would be received. Might she be insulted? She wasn't. She was very grateful, and it was because God had led me to do it that I bought just the things she needed at just the time she needed them.


Thank you, Mom, for the great ideas. I remember most of the things you've mentioned, with the exception of the pizza. DID I GET LEFT OUT OF THE PIZZA TRIPS??? *Grin*

7 comments:

Roberta said...

Thank you Tammy's Mom for sharing all of these wonderful ideas! I am guessing you are a joy to bless and a blessing to others by what I read. :)

Anonymous said...

You were probably at school.

Lisa said...

Another reason to want homeschooling. :D

This reminded me...when my pastor's children were still young, I anonymously bought baby sitting services from their babysitter for them. It was for a night of their choosing so they could just get out together alone. I've never told them about it and I had forgotten until I read this post. One of their kids is in college, the other will go next year..and the last the year after next. Now I feel old. lol

Anonymous said...

These are some wonderful ideas. Since I'm the pastor's wife I won't suggest our ladies do this thing of a card with a dollar in each one for me but I think might steal this idea for one of the widow ladies who is in our church who is now a shut-in. This would really enccourage her. Then her daughter who she lives with could take her out shopping for something for herself. Great ideas Sis. Tammy's Mom!! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

What a great post! Your Mom is obviously such a blessed lady :o)I love the story of the man who had to crawl on his hands and knees to collect produce! What a giving man in more ways than I can imagine.

Nikki said...

Ohh I LOVED the card with the dollar bills in it!!! I can't wait to do some of these for someone!!

Kristi said...

Hi Tammy, I read your most embarassing moment on the Sparrow's Nest and it was cute. I could just see that happening and I wanted to tell you that it's true when you say...."I fell for Kevin." LOL :)
~Kristi