Friday, June 23, 2006

~Others~

Lord, help me to live from day to day
In such a self-forgetful way,
That even when I kneel to pray,
My prayer shall be for others.

Help me in all the work I do
To ever be sincere and true;
And know that all I do for Thee
Must needs be done for others.

And when my work on Earth is done,
And my new work in Heaven begun,
May I forget the crown I won,
While thinking still of others.

Others, Lord, yes others,
Let this my motto be.
Help me to live for others
That I may live like Thee.
-- C.D. Meigs

My sister memorized this poem when we were younger, and I remember the first and last stanza quite well. This is an excellent poem to remind us of our duty towards others.

8 comments:

HopiQ said...

Poetry can be such a beautiful and expressive way to communicate deep truths. Thank you for sharing this poem with us. What a challenge and privilege to serve others as our Lord, who came to serve us.

Cherish the Home said...

I'm not normally a big fan of poetry but I liked this one. I've heard the last stanza before...Mrs. Caroline Roberson quoted it.

Shannon Sinclair said...

Tammy,
What a beautiful poem! And so true! There is a writer named Annie Johnson Flint who has some awesome poetry. I will be posting it on my blog over the weekend!

Anonymous said...

Hello Tammy how are you? My name is drea and I saw you at Bridgets blogger. I just thought I'd come meet you! Your blogger is beautiful! I pray we will become great friends! GBU!!

http://another-journel-entry.blogspot.com/

Nikki said...

I love it!! I used to "collect" poems. I had a folder full of poems that I found that I liked. I don't know what happened to it though!

Anonymous said...

That was so beautiful poem. I loved it. I try to comment your blog first time. Hopefully I succeed.
Have a nice weekend!ULLA

Michelle said...

That was a great poem..

Melissa said...

Good poem; it has been turned into a song, too. I remember hearing it on an old Tennessee Ernie Ford recording.