Monday, June 05, 2006

Encouragement

I have to say that all of the contest entries truly inspired and encouraged me! Not only did they encourage me to be an encourager, it also encouraged me that others are being an encouragement to their friends and family!

Here is a summary of the wonderful ideas:
  • Plate of goodies out of the blue.
  • Homemade card.
  • Send a card, praying that the Lord will speak through you.
  • A card, phone call, e-mail when the Lord lays someone on your heart.
  • Blogging about something that is on your heart.
  • Care packages.
  • An invitation to your home for a DEstressing time of fellowship (not distressing, as I originally read it! LOL)
  • Thinking of and thanking your child's Sunday school teachers.
  • Books that have blessed you.
  • Bake extra when you bake, as a chance to give to a friend, or freeze for those times someone stops by.
  • Take pictures of your church family, and frame, put in albums, for friends.
  • Take time for people.
  • Make sure people really know how you feel about them. (LOL good feelings only, right, Mrs. B?)
  • Note dates on your calendar of death anniversaries so that you can encourage the one who is grieving.
  • Pick up something for someone as a little surprise.
  • Hand made gifts for newborns.
  • Add a packet of tea to your notecards.
  • Give people your full attention.

Wow, such great advice, and wonderful ideas for the next time the Lord lays someone on my heart! Actually, the Lord has laid someone on my heart, and I need to act on it!

Saturday evening when Kevin and I came home, we were up front looking at these incredibly long disgusting earthworms (LOL). Suddenly, a German Shepherd came running up onto our porch. I am so fearful of dogs, especially big dogs, but after the initial routine of clinging to my husband, the dog proved to be friendly. *Grin* Soon, the dog's owner came up, apologizing that his dog had gotten away from him. He said that his wife had just had their first baby, and that he was home from the hospital to let the dog out.

We haven't met this couple yet, so it was nice to get the contact. What I'm planning on doing is making up lasagna tomorrow evening, and taking it over to them (after dinner). I won't bake it--that way they can freeze it for later (if they have friends/family giving them meals), or they can bake it the next night for dinner.

When God lays someone on your heart, follow through! I can't begin to tell you what a blessing it is to know that God is working through you to touch someone else's life!

3 comments:

Roberta said...

Thanks Tammy for compiling the list...it's neat to see the ideas all together. :)

What a blessing to meet that neighbor at such the perfect time. I had a similar experience...no dog *phew*...meeting a young pregnant mom with her toddler. After the time I knew she would be having her baby I brought a lasagna. She was so touched and said nobody had ever done anything like that for her in her whole life. I am not sure who was more blessed. She was not a Christian, we have lost contact. Thanks for reminding me of that situation so I can be praying for her

Annecourager said...

Lovely list! Great ideas from all! I know the contest is over now :) - so I will have to take some of these ideas and put them into practice.

When my flowers are in season, I sometimes cut a few and stick them in a mason jar and spread the cheer to whoever I think could use it. (Sometimes that's my husband!)

The Lord put a burden on my heart today for a girl (well, she's my age, so is she still a "girl" ?) who is single, has her own medical practice, and I think she could do with a(-nother) friend. I'll be inviting her to Starbucks this Wednesday, since I know it's her day off, and our piano lessons are right behind each other. I don't want the kids to be a distraction, so I'll take her out!

Nikki said...

I'm going to copy and paste this list in a word documont so I will have it to look at from time to time!!! Thanks for the hard work you put into compiling this list!!!