Thursday, March 15, 2007

~What Goes Around, Comes Around~

...Or comes back "in".

My goodness, I think I'm getting sucked in! Not only have granny squares made a resurgence, but so have ripple afghans! And I'm actually thinking of making them both.

One can find them all over the craft blogs! But they aren't ugly, like their predecessors. Oh, no. These afghans are made of gorgeous colors and yarns...yarns like baby cashmerino. The word has "cash" in it; I'd better steer clear of that yarn! LOL

Jane at Yarnstorm made a beautiful ripple afghan, and Alicia at Posie Gets Cozy is working on a lovely granny square afghan.

And if that's not enough to convince you to make one for yourself, check out these stitch-alongs:
Granny-Along
The No-End-In-Sight Ripple-Along

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tammy,

Thanks for the ripple & granny square sites. I love the updated looks of the old patterns.

I love making granny squares & ripple afghans. The last ripple afghan I made was in college for my grandparents in the 1982 & the colors they picked where rust, cream and dark brown. The in colors then.

The last granny square afghan I made from scratch again was the late 1980's or early 1990's. Once again in the more traditional colors. The back ground was black with bright colors of red, green, white, orange, and many other colors.

I think I need to make some new afgahs with the new colors. You have challenged me lay down my knitting needles to pull out my crochet hook once again.

Sharon

Sharon said...

Tammy, thank you for the great sites!

Emily said...

Now I'm going to have to learn how to crochet!

Also stopping in to give you the Cinnamon-Pepper Roast Chicken recipe. I've posted it at my Live Journal site (pic to be added), but I thought I'd give it directly to you also:

CINNAMON-PEPPER ROAST CHICKEN

1 (4 pounds) whole fryer or roasting chicken
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground allspice

Directions: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Mix salt, peppers and other spices together in a small bowl. Clean chicken and season it well, inside and out, with mixed spices. Roast, uncovered, 2 1/2 to 3 hours, basting occasionally with pan juices.

It smells so heavenly while roasting. . . when my husband comes home from work and smells this, he loves it and knows he's being taken care of, haha! One of his faves. Personally, I think it would be fine to cut back on the cayenne if you don't like any heat too.

Have a good evening!

Emily

Mishel said...

We have a few of those ugly, but beloved afghans floating around our house. : ) Neat websites!

Tammy said...

Emily, thank you for the recipe! I'm going to have to try that soon!

I have so many projects right now, so the last thing I need is one more! But I do so want to make both of these afghans!