My sewing room, though still a disaster, is progressing well!
Last night I went through things and pared down. I took some pictures to show my sorting procedures. Basically, instead of looking at something and deciding whether or not I would use it in the next ten years, I gave myself some parameters.
Take, for example, my crochet thread. This is what I started with (and I found more as I was cleaning other things out):
I decided that since I haven't been such an avid crocheter since I took up knitting, I would keep only what would fit in the large container. This will definitely be enough variety to choose from should the urge to crochet hit!
And this is what I ended up keeping:
Giving yourself parameters definitely works. Otherwise, I could have kept it all. I did, after all, have containers for it all! There is nothing wrong with any of the thread. It's just taking up space!!! And I'm trying to give myself a closet that works for me! If, in the future, I *need* that particular shade of green thread that I donated to Goodwill, I can go buy it for $2. But until then (which may *never, ever* happen), I have more space in my closet!
I did the same thing with my fabric. It's kind of hard to tell, but I did get rid of a good sized stack.
I do have a piece of fabric that I put in the donate pile that I still may pull out. I don't know. We'll see how I'm feeling! I do have room for it!
I've learned that having a clean space is far more valuable than hanging on to valuable things.
And so I've been quite ruthless as I go through my sewing room. I got rid of quite a bit just a year ago, but apparently, it wasn't enough! It is so freeing to organize and purge!
1 day ago