Thursday, June 14, 2007

~Modern Technology~

It's so handy, isn't it? Except, when it doesn't work right, and then everything is out of whack!

Our phone lines at work went down yesterday afternoon, and were down all day today. That meant no one could call, fax, or e-mail us. How nice, a quiet day, right? Well, not exactly! Thankfully we were able to get all the calls routed to my boss's cell phone. I, being the primary phone-answerer, of course answered all the calls. I had to explain a *gazillion* times about our phone system being out though!

We had one fax that had to go out today, so my boss took it to Kinko's. Do you know how much it cost to send a four-page fax? Five dollars! Wowsers. And no, it wasn't going overseas! LOL

I'm hoping that the lines will be back up tomorrow! It would sure make life easier!

I was thinking today of the early pioneers. They left their friends and family, and many of them never saw their family again. They couldn't pick up a phone and chat with them, or send out a quick e-mail either. Their only means of communication was by letter. It makes me thankful that even though I am over 2,000 miles from my family, I can still e-mail, talk to them, and see them every once in a while!

5 comments:

Heather said...

What a bummer that the phone lines were down. I hope they get them back up soon, for your sake.

I agree about the internet and email - technology is my favorite way to stay in contact with far away friends.

Anonymous said...

Wow! $5 for a fax!? I send faxes often throughout the day and would be broke if I sent them all at Kinkos:)

Trixie

Mishel said...

I can't imagine not being able to keep in contact with family and friends through email--it really is our lifeline. I guess we'd have to go back to old fashion letter writting. : ) (Which I don't think would be a bad thing!)

Heather K said...

yeah.. we're sure dependent on technology aren't we??!! I am self employed (very small business) and once a week i send out some long faxes...well one week mine was not working...I went out to Staples to fax it... it cost me $26!!! I couldn't believe it!? Good thing I don't have to do that often.. all the profit would go to Staples!!!

theups said...

I LOVE technology!! I'm with you, I can't imagine how the pioneers did it. You had to realize that once you left, you may never see your family again. HOW SAD!!!!

I can't believe the fax was $5!!!

His,
Mrs. U