Friday, January 05, 2007

~It’s been awhile…~

...since I've been mistaken for a child!

I have always appeared younger than I really am. I can remember when I was 6, people thinking I was 3 or 4. When I was 12, we met a long lost relative in the store, and for some reason, she wanted to guess how old I was. She stood there, looking at me, and was saying, “s…” when my dad interupted and said I was 12. Later my dad said she was probably going to say “sixteen”. Nice try, Dad! Most likely she was just about ready to say "Six" or at the best, "Seven".

And then, when my husband and I were dating (I was 23 at that point), we were asked if our dinner was going to be one adult and one child. Um, no. Kevin says he should have said yes, in order to save money! Hahaha… Also while dating, we had gone to see Kevin’s mom. My flight left the day before his did, and when we went to the airport to check in, the lady asked if I was an unaccompanied minor. Negative. When the lady found out how old I was, her face turned beet red! In order to fly as an unaccompanied minor, one has to be under the age of 12.

Again, when I was 26, and flying alone, Kevin was asked if I was flying as an unaccompanied minor. Nope. I’m still capable of boarding the plane on my own. The fact that I was goofing off with the self-checkout screen may or may not have contributed to the fact that the gal thought I was a kid. LOL

On our flight home from our vacation, we were sitting in one of the exit rows on the plane. The flight attendant asked me, “You look so young. May I ask you how old you are?” In order to sit in the exit row, one has to be 15 or older. I’m progressing. I now look older than 12, but not quite 15!

I do suppose that I will appreciate this when I’m 60, and people are asking me if I’m in my 30’s. *Smiles*

9 comments:

Joyce's Ramblings said...

Tammy, Sorry looking younger doesn't last that long. Enjoy it while you can! But don't ever lose your inner child. I still act silly and under age a few times. (No comments J & R) I celebrated my 16th birthday by going to the races with my dad and getting in with a child's ticket.

Anonymous said...

This us to happen to me all the time too. I was always being carded to go into R movies, up until I was about 30 or so. Most people think I'm around 25 or 30, but I'm actually much closer to 40. Enjoy it while you can! Most people when I meet them are shocked I have a 13 year old son, or they think I must have had him while in high school, but actually he wasn't born until I was 23. I often get asked if he's my step son or something since he's 13 and Riley is 3. Which is really weird because he looks more like me than Riley does. Poor Riley is the odd ball! Marty, Colt & I are all darker haired and dark eyes...Riley's blond & blue eyed. He really stands out :)

Martha C said...

This is too funny, Tammy! :-) I love the exit row part the best!

Anonymous said...

My dad looked young too. He was nearly 40 when he got carded at a wedding. Sitting in between his mother and his wife and his then 13 year old daughter one table over. The poor waitress was so embarrased.

Anonymous said...

Oh, blah blah blah....just keep bragging about how YOUNG you look!!!!!!!! LOL

Actually, I can imagine that those instances you mentioned are maybe flattering now, but not so much then. You're right though, when you're sixty you'll look 30 and you'll really appreciate it. :)

By the way, it's really sweet what your daddy said. Aren't daddy's great??

~Kristi

Sarah Joy said...

My mom was always thought of as younger than she was. My dad would get dirty looks going through the grocery store with her and the kids. People often asked if she was my older sister when we worked together. That was kinda weird. I looked a little younger back when I got married. Everyone begged me to wait until I graduated high school, and then I told them I WAS finishing college shortly. I don't get that much anymore! I think it's the way I do my hair. I've grown up. Sniff.

Anonymous said...

That's the story of my life too!! This past Oct., I played the "Guess your age game" at our state fair. The poor guy was 10 years off! I was 22 1/2 then so, it was a big thing to be THAT many years off. :) And then last night at the hospital, one of the nurses wanted to be introduced to us children. Momma wanted her to guess my age and she guessed 12 or 13. She admitted that she almost fell through the floor when I said I was almost 23!! LOL!

Anonymous said...

My whole life I've looked younger than my age too. It isn't so great when people refuse to take you seriously as an adult. During our first year of marriage, I was 19 and my mother was taken to a hospital for what they thought was a heart attack. My father was trucking at the time, so it was up to me to be there for her. My husband and little brother followed me to the front desk to ask where my mother had been taken. The receptionist told us where to go. We walked into the cardiac ICU and a nurse showed us to the bed that my mother was supposed to be in. The woman laying there wasn't her. I told the nurse and she responded with, "Honey, are you sure thats not your mother?" Apparently, this woman had the same name as my mom and that my mom had been taken to the other hospital. Anyway, this woman thought that I was sooo young that I may not beable to recognize my own mother.

Jennwith4 said...

People are always thinking I'm younger that I really am. If I don't introduce myself as the Pastor's Wife they think I'm one of the teenagers. Even one of the missionaries we had come in thought I was a teen until we all went out to eat after service.