Wednesday, January 10, 2007

~Wrapping Paper~

Do you have wrapping paper stashed away in corners or under beds? I have a good part of one closet “devoted” to wrapping paper, gift bags, ribbons and bows.

I was watching an episode of Clean Sweep recently, and one of the organizers was talking to the lady of the house about her wrapping paper. She probably could have wrapped hundreds and hundreds of gifts with all the wrapping paper she had in bins, totes, bags, and boxes! He told her she could do one of two things: keep one bin, or do what he does for gifts: buy ONE type of wrapping paper—brown paper—and three colors of ribbons (black, red, and yellow were his recommendations). Then you have wrapping paper to wrap a gift for whatever the occasion calls for.

The lady decided to go with his idea. I think it’s a marvelous idea! I love the look of brown paper, and it sounds so convenient to have just one type of wrapping paper in the closet! I would probably buy different colors of ribbons than suggested though. Pink would definitely would be included! =)

11 comments:

Sarah Joy said...

What a good idea! Gift bags always felt like cheating to me-I might use this idea.

Joyce's Ramblings said...

Fine idea! But can you leave alittle room for sunday comics to wrap childrens gifts?

Dawn said...

I have used brown paper for years..and it is true..everyone knows your gift when they see it. I am partial to raffia..but have used colors for the bows. Mostly the paper type that is a cord and you unroll it. I forget what you call that stuff. It does look great with the brown craft paper.
Also...I have stenciled the paper. I have made stencils for all sorts of occasions. Your imagination is your only limit.
I saw that Clean Sweep show you mentioned. Could NOT believe how much stuff they cleared out of that home!
:o)

Anonymous said...

My sister has always used brown craft paper for her Christmas gifts. They are definitely unique under the tree. She uses Christmas cloth in strips for the ribbon wrapped around the package. She buys about 3 or 4 different Christmas patterns and has a variety. I LOVE the way her gifts look. A primitive ornament looks great hanging from a brown wrapped package, too.

I have a baby shower to attend on Sunday--I'm don't think I'll wrap my gift in brown paper though. To me that wouldn't fit--even if I did use pink cloth with it. :)

Julieann said...

Yes, I like brown paper too, but I do like variety--I do have a little corner in the garage with all my wrapping stuff--it is put there neatly and out of the way--also with brown paper, rafia looks really good too. One time I had a birthday gift to give, and I did not have appropriate wrapping paper, so I wrapped the present with Christmas paper with the white side...LOL.

Julieann:)

Jennwith4 said...

I did the brown paper for gifts last Christmas. They looked really cute!

Anonymous said...

I like that idea. I made a wrap bag to hang in my closet. Basically, it holds all of my wrapping paper which consists of all different gift bags, one roll of each baby shower, wedding, birthday (child), birthday (teen), birthday (woman), birthday (man), and then there was room for my rolls of Christmas paper I used. I also put pockets in the front for my scissors, tapes, tags, ribbons, etc.

~Kristi

Open Roads Mama said...

Wow, that sounds like a GREAT idea! Thanks for sharing! :)

Anonymous said...

I like to use the brown paper, I also use butcher paper a lot. I use stamps on mine to fit the occasion. At Wal-Mart they have lots of foam stamps in all shapes and sizes. I use these with different paints or inks to decorate my paper, then use coordinating ribbons and bows. I have also used stickers and vellums on the paper.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful Idea. Thank you for sharing. I agree that pink should be included :0)

Anonymous said...

I actually had a friend who did this. I had forgotten about it until I read your post. It is a great idea though! : )