Friday, October 09, 2009

~Dinner tonight~

As I mentioned earlier this week, we have family in town this weekend! Tonight I used an old favorite for dinner: Everyday Cassoulet. I've previously blogged this recipe, but here it is again:

Cassoulet is a French bean and meat stew.

1 pound Polish or smoked sausage, diagonaly cut into 1-inch pieces (I used beef sausage)
1 can (15 to 16 oz) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15 to 16 oz) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15 to 16 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
3 medium carrots, thinly sliced (1 1/2 cups)
2 small onions, thinly sliced and separated into rings
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup beef broth
2 TBS packed brown sugar
2 TBS chopped fresh or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves

1. Heat oven to 375*.
2. Mix all ingredients in ungreased 3-quart casserole. Cover and bake 50-60 minutes or until mixture is hot and bubbly and carrots are tender.

Tonight I served it with rice and a side salad. After dinner we enjoyed Easy Swedish Apple Pie and ice cream. Yummy. Tomorrow we're having our Thanksgiving dinner, complete with turkey. {And I'm SO glad I decided to blog about our food because just as I typed the word turkey, I remembered that the turkey needs to defrost!}

Have a great day!

2 comments:

Charity said...

Funny... I just bought the ingredients to make this for Sunday. It's one of our favorites!!

Tammy said...

That's funny, Charity! Glad you enjoy this recipe!