Tuesday, October 20, 2009

~Milly-Molly-Mandy~

My mom called me a few weeks ago and told me about a little story book that she thought I would enjoy, called Milly-Molly-Mandy Stories. I checked to see if it was available in my library system, and put a hold on it.

As soon as I opened the book, I knew I had read it before! There is a little map on the inside cover, and I recognized it. I read this book when I was 7 or 8 years old. The funny thing is, I only remember one chapter out of the whole book.

It was a fun little read, and when The Baby is old enough, we'll enjoy it together. I love old children's literature.

Milly-Molly-Mandy is written and illustrated by Joyce Lankester Brisley. She was a children's illustrator, but she also wrote a few books herself. This book was written in 1925. It is a very sweet book. I would guess that this book is about 2nd or 3rd grade level (back in 1925, anyhow). Today's young reader will definitely need someone to help them understand the old-fashioned words, objects, and activities.

Milly-Molly-Mandy is one little girl - her full name is really Millicent Margaret Amanda. But that was too long of a name so it was shortened to Milly-Molly-Mandy. *Smiles* The chapter that I remember? Milly-Molly-Mandy was practicing with a little boy for a race. Since they didn't have a clock out in the field where they were practicing, Milly-Molly-Mandy practiced in the house by the clock counting out seconds till she was able to do so away from the clock. I think this chapter enamored me so much because I tried to do the same (count seconds away from a clock) but I was never able to get it down. :-)

4 comments:

HopiQ said...

Sounds very sweet! It is fun to rediscover childhood delights. I am going to look for it on our library website. This book sounds like something my girls would love.

Anonymous said...

I loved that book - my dd had it when she was little. :)

Tammy said...

Hope - I am hoping it is in your library!

Angelique - It's fun to see someone else who loves this book too!

Dell said...

We have that book! My Kendra adores it. Such a sweet read!

I hope you got my rambling email reply a few weeks back. I can't remember if I sent it to your old or new email, so I'll double check.

I'm enjoing seeing your works-in-progress too! Your craftmanship is exquisite as always!