Saturday, October 17, 2009

~Golden Oats~

This recipe is one that I remember from my childhood. One fond memory is having it as a special treat for supper, when I was six or seven years old, because my dad was going out for dinner with a future employer. I was quite distraught that my dad wasn't going to be eating dinner with us (or maybe I was upset that he was eating dinner out and I wasn't! LOL), so my mom promised me that she'd make golden oats for dinner.

If you don't like the consistency of oatmeal cereal, you will probably like this recipe. The oats separate and are a little chewy. This cereal is not gummy at all. If you don't like the taste of oatmeal itself, well then, you probably won't like it. :-P

1 1/2 cups oats
1 egg, beaten
3 tablespoons butter, melted
3/4 cup juice

Combine oats and egg in medium-sized bowl; mix until oats are thoroughly coated. Add oats mixture to butter in 10-inch skillet, cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 3 to 5 minutes or until oats are dry, separated and lightly browned. Add juice; continue cooking, stirring occasionally, 2 to 3 minutes or until liquid evaporates.

Makes 4 servings.


I particularly like orange juice, but apple juice works just fine too. I like to add thinly sliced apples - just saute them a few minutes in the butter before adding the oats mixture to the skillet.

Very, very yummy! I had this cereal for breakfast yesterday.

3 comments:

Joanna P. said...

Sounds yummy!
Can you use quick-cooking oats for this, or just the old-fashioned rolled oats?

Mom said...

I totally forgot about this recipe. I am going to have to make this one soon!! I don't even know if your youngest sisters would remember this one. It has been a long time!!
~Mom

Tammy said...

Joanna, I used quick-cooking oats, since that was what I had on hand. Though regular oats work too!

Mom, I hope everyone likes it! :-)