Tuesday, October 27, 2009

~Hedge fruit~

Kevin and I were at a farmer's market on Saturday, and I spotted a curious green fruit. I stepped in closer for a second look, and saw a sign that proclaimed that these mysterious fruits would keep away spiders and centipedes. Be still my heart! Something natural to keep those nasty creatures out of my house???

I bought four of them, with plans to strategically place them in the basement and attic. I hope these work!

Now, at the farmer's market they were calling these "hedge fruit" but when I looked online, it appears that they are more commonly known as "hedge apples". In fact, there is a whole site dedicated to hedge apples: hedgeapple.com.

From what I've read, it is considered "folk lore" that these repel insects. There have been lab tests done and they don't know how or why they keep insects away. Honestly? I really don't care about the hows or whys! If these work, I may consider growing a hedge apple tree! LOL

Have you gotten the idea that I detest centipedes? My hero, known to the world as "Kevin", knows when to put on his hero cape and come to my rescue. He can tell by my scream and/or tone of voice when I call out his name that he has a centipede to kill! So here's hoping that these truly do work and are more than just folk lore!

4 comments:

Jennwith4 said...

I've heard of these but didn't know they are supposed to keep away little creepy crawlies! Nice!! Hope it works for you.

Barbara said...

Good luck, I hope they work! You'll have to let us know if you notice a difference.

Desiree said...

I've never seen one of those. It looks like a pretty fruit. When I was in the Dominican there were LARGE centipedes that would make a person very sick if they got bit by one. This fruit would come in handy there. My sister uses this sticky paper to catch crawly insects. She just puts it in the corner of the floor and it's amazing how strong that stuff is.

Ruth said...

We have a number of trees with this fruit, but we have always called them "Osage Oranges." I just googled and found they are the same thing as your hedge apples.