Friday, June 16, 2006

Where I'm From

I am from dish towels and aprons, from Crayola Crayons and Etch-a-Sketches and "playing house".

I am from a small house bursting with love, a large, loving family and huge simmering pots of homemade soup.

I am from home-grown tomatoes, dandelions picked with love for my mother, ordinary rock collections, the Giant Sequoia trees, Johnny jump-ups and family nature treks.

I am from the unwavering, always chili, Christmas Eve dinners, and my indented chin inherited from my father, grandfather, and great grandfather.

I am from family laughs with a sigh at the end and family togetherness.

From Jesus loves me and Jesus died for my sins.

I am from a loving Christian home, my Christian heritage reaching far back on my father's side and generations on my mother's side.

I may have been born in South Carolina, but I'm from California of German, Irish, and English descent, from peppernuts and New Years Cookies, from July 4th barbecues and three-bean salads.

From pet ducks and geese, from my mother's "Lulabelle" stories, from a happy childhood.

I am from small towns, and while earthly treasures do not abound in my family, I have priceless family memories worth far more than gold.

I am blessed.

7 comments:

Shannon Sinclair said...

Tammy!

This is fantastic! I just completed mine and I will share it with you on my blog that I started!

Anonymous said...

I *LOVE* these poems, and yours is terrific!

Anonymous said...

Tammy, I really have enjoyed my visit at your blog. It is lovely! Thank you for sharing your life with us...I can't wait to explore your projects some more. You are very talented!

Tammy said...

Thank you for your nice comments. =) And Holly, thank you for visiting!

Anonymous said...

I linked to your page when I posted my entry on Loni's site. Nice job!

Tammy said...

Holly, my dear sister, I just check the blog profile. :)

deb said...

Tammy, I've seen this "Where I'm From" poem for awhile now around the blogosphere but was never motivated to do mine. But this week I finally finished one! I just posted it today (6/23), but I didn't finish in time for the contest. Oh well. It was an accomplishment just to say I'd done it!